No. 3 Volleyball NCAA Semifinal match tonight on ESPNU
Dec. 18, 2008
The third-ranked Texas Volleyball team is making its first NCAA Semifinal appearance since 1995. Catch the action live from Omaha, Neb., Thursday, Dec. 18 at 6 p.m. Central on ESPNU and www.ESPN360.com.
Texas (28-3) takes on No. 2 Stanford (30-3) in the first semifinal before No. 4 Nebraska (31-2) takes on No. 1 Penn State (36-0) in the second semifinal on ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPN360.com.
Texas Tourney Facts
• Texas is making its fifth trip to the National Semifinals and its first since 1995.
• The Longhorns are one of just three teams located east of California to win an NCAA Championship (1988), joining Nebraska (1995, 2000, 2006) and Penn State (1999, 2007).
• The Longhorns won their 12th and 13th straight matches, knocking off No. 9 UCLA and Iowa State in the NCAA Austin Regional to advance to the National Semifinals for the fifth time in UT history and the first time since 1995 ... the win improved Texas’ all-time NCAA postseason mark to 53-22.
• Texas is 6-2 in 2008 against ranked opponents, defeating No. 3 USC, 3-0 (8/29), No. 3 Nebraska, 3-1 (11/19), No. 9 UCLA (12/12), No. 13 Wichita State, 3-0 (12/6) and twice defeating No. 17/14 Kansas State, 3-0 on 10/4 and 3-2 on 11/15 ... Texas is 13-2 this year against teams that qualified for the NCAA field, including its wins over Lamar, WSU, UCLA and Iowa State.
• UT won its first NCAA Regional final match after making the final for three straight years ... UT lost to Stanford, 3-1 in 2006 and lost USC, 3-0 in 2007.