Volleyball preview: NCAA Regional final vs. Iowa State
Dec. 13, 2008
MATCH #32: No. 3 TEXAS (28-3, 18-2 Big 12) vs. Iowa State (22-12)
• The Longhorns won their 12th straight match, knocking off No. 9 UCLA in the NCAA Regional semifinal, 3-1 (12/12) ... Texas’ victory against the Bruins advanced the Horns to the NCAA Regional for the third straight season and 14th time in UT history ... the win improved Texas’ all-time NCAA postseason mark to 52-22.
• Texas is 6-2 in 2008 against ranked opponents, defeating No. 3 USC, 3-0 (8/29), No. 3 Nebraska, 3-1 (11/19), No. 9 UCLA (12/12), No. 13 Wichita State, 3-0 (12/6) and twice defeating No. 17/14 Kansas State, 3-0 on 10/4 and 3-2 on 11/15 ... Texas is 12-2 this year against teams that qualified for the NCAA field, including its wins over Lamar, WSU and UCLA ... Texas swept Iowa State in this season’s previous two meetings.
• UT is looking to win its first NCAA Regional final match after making the final for three straight years ... UT lost to Stanford, 3-1 in 2006 and lost USC, 3-0 in 2007.
• The Horns’ win over UCLA improved UT to 28-3 in 2008, marking its first 28-win season since 1995.
• Texas, Nebraska and Stanford are the only three schools that have advanced to the NCAA Regional finals in each of the last three NCAA Championships
• Four Big 12 teams (Texas, Nebraska, Kansas State and Iowa State) were selected to play in the tournament, and seven of UT’s regular season opponents earned NCAA bids ... three Big 12 teams remain in the field and four of Texas’ 2008 opponents remain.
• The Horns are participating in their 25th NCAA Tournament, the eighth-most appearances in the nation ... beginning in 1982 - the team’s first NCAA Tournament - Texas advanced to 18 straight tournaments (1982-2000)
• 2008 marked the 19th season Texas has hosted first-round matches ... UT is undefeated in opening round action, going 25-0 in first-round matches.
• The Longhorns are one of just three teams located east of California to win an NCAA Championship (1988), joining Nebraska (1995, 2000, 2006) and Penn State (1999, 2007).
SERIES INFO VS. IOWA STATE
THIS SEASON VS. IOWA STATE
Nov. 11 -- Texas used four double-digit kill performances to knock off Iowa State, 3-0 (29-27, 28-26, 25-17) at the Hilton Coliseum ... junior All-America outside hitter Destinee Hooker concluded the match with 13 kills on .393 hitting, while junior All-America opposite hitter Ashley Engle and senior All-America middle blocker Lauren Paolini connected for 11 kills each and sophomore All-America outside hitter Juliann Faucette totaled 10 ... Hooker equaled her season-best block total of six in the victory and the Longhorns out-blocked the Cyclones 12.0-to-8.0.