Volleyball preview: NCAA First & Second Rounds
No. 7 Texas in the 2005 NCAA Tournament
2005 NCAA Tournament Bracket - Austin Subregional
Saturday, December 3
· A tournament best seven Big 12 teams (Texas, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas State, Colorado, Texas A&M and Kansas) were selected to play in the tournament, marking the most representatives from any conference in the 2005 bracket.
· Texas will host LSU in the first round on Friday, Dec. 2, at Gregory Gym at 7 p.m. ... Hawaii and Texas State will face off immediately prior to the Horns match, at 5 p.m., at Gregory ... the winners will meet in the second round on Saturday, Dec. 3, at 6:30 p.m.
· After missing the tournament in 2003 for just the second time in program history, Texas is participating in its 22nd NCAA Tournament, the fourth-most appearances nationally ... beginning in 1982 - the team's first NCAA Tournament - Texas advanced to 18-straight tournaments (1982-2000).
· 2005 marks the 16th season Texas has hosted first round matches ... UT has now hosted the opening rounds in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 1998-99.
· Texas is 32-7 all-time in NCAA Tournament matches played in Austin ... Last year, the Longhorns swept Texas State, 3-0, in the first round before defeating Michigan, 3-1, in the second round to advance to the Green Bay Regional.
· UT is undefeated in opening round action, going 18-0 in first-round matches. UT has never failed to advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
· The Longhorns are one of just three schools located east of California to win an NCAA Championship (1988), joining Nebraska (1995, 2000) and Penn State (1999).
TEXAS QUICK SETS
· Texas saw four players garner All-Big 12 honors on Monday as Leticia Armstrong, Brandy Magee and Michelle Moriarty were all first-team selections, while Dariam Acevedo was an honorable-mention performer ... UT's three first-team honoree tied Nebraska for the overall lead.
· Also this week, Brandy Magee was selected as Big 12 Co-Player of the Week with Texas A&M's Laura Jones ... Magee is the third Longhorn to earn the weekly honor this season and the weekly award is the second of her career.
· Ranked No. 7 this week in the ACVA poll, Texas has earned its highest national ranking since the week of Sept. 27, 1999.
· Texas' victory over Nebraska was the team's first over a No. 1 ranked team since the Horns knocked off No.1 Stanford in five games on Sept. 6, 1995 ... UT has a 4-18 mark all-time against top-ranked teams.
· Since the start of the second half of the Big 12 season, Texas has averaged 3.95 blocks per game (122.5 total) and has risen from seventh in the conference standings (2.65, Big 12 matches only) to second (3.26) ... UT has jumped from sixth to second in overall matches in the same frame, while also moving into the national rankings in blocks per game, where the team is currently ranked 17th.
· The Longhorns have won 20 matches for the second time in as many seasons, marking the program's first back-to-back 20-win seasons since 1998 and 1999.
· Texas has an all-time program record of 884-328-14 (.727) ... the Longhorns have an all-time record of 137-61 (.692) in Big 12 play, spanning 10 seasons of play ... Texas won its first Big 12 title in 1997 and has a total of four second-place finishes (1996, 1998, 2004 and 2005).
· Dariam Acevedo finished the Big 12 season as the league leader in aces per game (0.32) as she collected 29 of her 31 aces in Big 12 play ... her 29 aces also led the league in Big 12 matches ... Brandy Magee has recorded 10 of the Horns' 38 aces in the team's last six matches ... she has upped her season total to 24 - from 14 - in that span ... Magee now has 70 on her career.
· UT is ranked in four team categories in the latest NCAA statistics (Nov. 29), and two different players are also ranked in the individual rankings ... UT is ranked 19th in hitting percentage (.274), 17th in blocks per game (3.09), 18th in win-loss percentage (.852) and 22nd in assists per game (15.01) ... individually, Michelle Moriarty is ranked 11th in assists per game (13.42) while Leticia Armstrong is ranked 25th in hitting percentage (.377).
TEXAS IN NCAA PLAY BY THE NUMBERS
1 - Number of schools to not lose a game throughout an entire NCAA Tournament. Texas accomplished this feat in 1998, beating North Carolina 3-0 in the first round, Colorado State 3-0 and UT-Arlington 3-0 at the NCAA South Regional, UCLA 3-0 in the NCAA Semifinals and Hawaii 3-0 in the Championship to win its first NCAA title.
3 - Number of schools east of California to claim the NCAA National Championship title. Texas first accomplished this feat in 1988, followed by Nebraska (1995, 2000) and Penn State (1999).
4 - NCAA Tournament Final Four appearances
7 - Number of NCAA Tournament Second Round matches hosted by UT
9 - Number of NCAA Tournament Regional matches hosted by UT
11 - NCAA Tournament Regional Championship appearances
16 - Number of NCAA Tournament First Round matches hosted by UT
17 - NCAA Tournament Regional Semifinal appearances
18 - Consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, tied for second all-time (1982-1999)
21 - Victories in Texas' opening round of play in NCAA play. UT is a perfect 21-0 in its first round of play.
22 - NCAA Tournament appearances, the fourth-most all-time
42 - Number of wins in NCAA Tournament (42-20)
ABOUT THE OTHER TEAMS
Texas vs. Texas State
Texas vs. Hawaii
Texas vs. LSU