2006 NCAA TOURNAMENT: AUSTIN SUBREGIONAL
FRIDAY, DEC. 1
Match 1: Alabama (17-12, 12-8 SEC) vs. Stephen F. Austin (29-3, 16-0 Southland), 4:30 p.m.
Match 2: No. 7 seed Texas 3, Prairie View A&M 0
SATURDAY, DEC. 2
Match 3: Texas vs. Stephen F. Austin, 6:30 p.m.
Texas Tournament Facts
· Texas is the No. 7 seed in the NCAA tournament and is in the Austin Regional Bracket ... The seeded teams in the Austin Regional include No. 2 Stanford, No. 10 Wisconsin and No. 15 Cal Poly ... Alabama, California, Iowa State, LSU, Michigan, Missouri, Notre Dame, Prairie View A&M, Sacramento State, Santa Clara, Stephen F. Austin, Wisconsin-Milwaukee complete the 16-team bracket ... Texas has played Cal Poly, Iowa State, Missouri, Santa Clara and Wisconsin already this season.
· Six Big 12 teams (Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Missouri, Colorado and Iowa State) were selected to play in the tournament, and 11 of UT's regular season opponents earned NCAA bids.
· Texas will host Prairie View A&M in the first round on Friday, Dec. 1, at Gregory Gym at 6:30 p.m. ... Alabama and Stephen F. Austin will face off immediately prior to the Horns' match, at 4:30 p.m., at Gregory ...The winners will meet in the second round on Saturday, Dec. 2, at 6:30 p.m.
· The Horns are participating in their 23rd NCAA Tournament, the fourth-most appearances in the nation ... Beginning in 1982 - the team's first NCAA Tournament - Texas advanced to 18 straight tournaments (1982-2000)
· 2006 marks the 17th season Texas has hosted first-round matches ... UT is undefeated in opening round action, going 19-0 in first-round matches.
· The Longhorns are one of just three teams located east of California to win an NCAA Championship (1988), joining Nebraska (1995, 2000) and Penn State (1999).
Texas Quick Hits
· The Horns saw three players garner All-Big 12 honors on Monday, Nov. 27 as Ashley Engle and Destinee Hooker were named to the first team and Michelle Moriarty was an honorable mention selection ... Engle also added Big 12 Freshman of the Year honors, while Moriarty earned her third straight All-Big 12 honor.
· Texas remained at No. 8 in the latest CSTV/AVCA poll, released Monday, Nov. 27 ... UT has been ranked in the Top 10 of the poll in 12-of-13 weeks this season ... The Longhorns began the 2006 campaign ranked eighth in the preseason poll, marking the team's highest preseason ranking since 1998 (9) ... Texas earned its highest ranking in the poll Sept. 11 when it was voted No. 5, staying there for two weeks.
· Junior setter Michelle Moriarty is climbing her way to the top of the Texas Volleyball record books ... She has recorded 1,423 assists this season (13.82 assists p/g) and has now amassed 4,194 assists in her UT career. ... Moriarty currently ranks second all-time behind Jill Gremmell, who recorded 4,250 assists during her career (1997-2000).
· Ashley Engle has recorded a kill/dig double-double in 11 of her last 16 matches, dating back to Texas' loss at Oklahoma (Sept. 27) ... On the year Engle has totaled 14 double-doubles ... Junior setter Michelle Moriarty has 16 assist/dig double-doubles this season, including 10 in her last 16 contests, while senior outside hitter Dariam Acevedo has tallied eight kill/dig double-doubles in 2006.
· In the NCAA's most recent release (Nov. 28) of national statistics, junior setter Michelle Moriarty ranked fourth in assists per game average, with a 13.82 average ... the Texas team ranks fourth in assists with a 15.81a/pg average and 16th in the country with 16.77 kills/pg ... Texas also ranks 28th nationally in hitting percentage, with a .259 attack mark.