Volleyball preview: NCAA First and Second Rounds
FRIDAY, NOV. 30
SATURDAY, DEC. 1
TEXAS TOURNAMENT FACTS
· Six Big 12 teams (Texas, Nebraska, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Missouri and Iowa State) were selected to play in the tournament, and nine of UT's regular season opponents earned NCAA bids.
· The Horns are participating in their 24th NCAA Tournament, the fourth-most appearances in the nation ... Beginning in 1982 - the team's first NCAA Tournament - Texas advanced to 18 straight tournaments (1982-2000)
· 2007 marks the 18th season Texas has hosted first-round matches ... UT is undefeated in opening round action, going 23-0 in first-round matches.
· The Longhorns are one of just three teams located east of California to win an NCAA Championship (1988), joining Nebraska (1995, 2000, 2006) and Penn State (1999).
· Texas earned a total of nine Big 12 Conference awards, including five All-Big 12 First Team honors, Freshman of the Year and Coach of the Year accolades ... Head coach Jerritt Elliott claimed his second Big 12 Coach of the Year honor (2004), while outside hitter Juliann Faucette earned UT's second straight conference Freshman of the Year award ... Sophomore opposite hitter Ashley Engle, Faucette, sophomore outside hitter Destinee Hooker, senior setter Michelle Moriarty and junior middle blocker Lauren Paolini were named to the All-Big 12 First Team ... Senior middle blocker Brandy Magee was named honorable mention All-Big 12, while Faucette added All-Big 12 Freshman Team honors.
· The Longhorns extended their season-best winning streak to 20 matches and claimed their first Big 12 Conference Championship since 1997 with their 3-0 victory over No. 12 Kansas State on Nov. 24 ... Texas shared the conference title with Nebraska (27-1, 19-1 Big 12), after splitting the season series with the Huskers ... Against K-State, freshman outside hitter Juliann Faucette recorded a match-high 19 kills on .500 hitting and recorded a kill/dig double-double with 11 digs.
· In its 12 Big 12 Conference matches, Texas has been impressive, ranking near the top of virtually every league statistical category in conference play ... The Longhorns rank first in the league with 3.36 blocks p/g and .356 hitting percentage ... Texas' 17.91 kills p/g and 16.65 assists p/g rank second in league play.
LAST TIME OUT: KANSAS STATE (11/24/07)