Volleyball preview: Nebraska
MATCH #27: No. 11 TEXAS (22-4, 16-3 Big 12) vs. No. 1 Nebraska (28-0, 19-0 Big 12)
When: Saturday, November 26, 2005 at 6:30 p.m.
· A Texas win on Saturday or a Missouri loss would secure sole possession of second place in the Big 12 standings for the Horns, marking the second-straight season UT has finished second behind Nebraska ... a loss on Saturday, coupled with a Missouri victory over Texas A&M, means Texas and MU would finish tied for second place with identical 16-4 records.
· Texas enters Saturday's match 9-0 at home in 2005 ... the Longhorns will look to close out the regular-season with a undefeated record at their home arena for the first time since 1998, when UT went 11-0 at Gregory Gym.
· Texas has won its last 15 home matches and 25 of its last 26 at Gregory Gym ... UT's last loss at home - and only loss at home in 2004 - was a 3-2 loss to No. 4 Nebraska on Oct. 20, 2004 ... it was the Horns' only loss in Austin since the tail end of the 2003 season (Nov. 19, 2003 vs. Colorado).
· After falling to Missouri on Sunday, the Longhorns and Tigers switched places in this week's AVCA poll .... UT entered the match at MU ranked No. 10, but is this week No. 11, while Mizzou went in ranked 11th and came out ranked 10th.
· Although Texas is 9-0 at home this season and 4-0 on neutral courts, UT is 9-4 on the road with losses at Notre Dame, Iowa State, Nebraska and Missouri.
· Since the start of the second half of the Big 12 season, Texas has averaged 3.95 blocks per game (122.5 total) and has risen from seventh in the conference standings (2.65, Big 12 matches only) to second (3.26) ... in all matches, UT has also gone from sixth to second in that span ... Brandy Magee has averaged 1.65 blocks per game in the last four matches.
· The Longhorns have won 20 matches for the second time in as many seasons, marking the program's first back-to-back 20-win seasons since 1998 and 1999.
· Texas is 22-1 when winning the first game of the match in 2005, accounting for all of the Horns' victories this season ... UT is also 18-0 when winning the second game.
· Texas has an all-time program record of 884-328-14 (.727) ... the Longhorns have an all-time record of 137-61 (.692) in Big 12 play, spanning 10 seasons of play ... Texas won its first Big 12 title in 1997 and has a total of three second-place finishes (1996, 1998 and 2004).
· Several Horns have or are close to passing milestones in certain statistical categories ... Leticia Armstrong passed 300 kills (307) in the Horns' match at Oklahoma ... Alyson Jennings passed the 700-dig mark at OU (now has 707) ... Brandy Magee is seven kills shy of 800 and five blocks shy of 300 in her two-plus year career.
· Brandy Magee has recorded 10 of the Horns' 31 aces in the team's last six matches with at least one in each contest ... she has upped her season total to 24 - from 14 - in that span ... Magee now has 70 on her career.
· In the two matches in which she started at middle blocker in place of the injured Leticia Armstrong, Jennifer Todd averaged 3.16 kills per game, 1.83 blocks per game and 4.17 points per game, while attacking at a .469 clip in the pair of 3-0 Longhorns victories (Nov. 12 vs. Iowa State and Nov. 16 vs. Texas Tech).
· Michelle Moriarty is second in the Big 12 in assists per game with 13.64, just .04 assists shy of leader Lindsay Hunter of Missouri.
· UT is ranked in five team categories in the latest NCAA statistics (Nov. 22), and three different players are also ranked in the individual rankings ... UT is ranked 17th in hitting percentage (.278), 19th in blocks per game (3.06), 20th in win-loss percentage (.840), 20th in assists per game (15.06) and 27th in kills per game (16.26) ... individually, Michelle Moriarty is ranked 11th in assists per game (13.42) while Leticia Armstrong is ranked 24th in hitting percentage (.384) and Brandy Magee is ranked 30th (.374).