Volleyball preview: Texas Tech
MATCH #24: No. 3 TEXAS (20-3, 15-1 Big 12) vs. Texas Tech (7-19, 1-16 Big 12)
· The Longhorns extended their season-best winning streak to 16 matches with their 3-1 victory over Texas A&M (Nov. 9) ... Five UT players posted double-digit kill totals in the win, while four players recorded double-doubles ... Sophomore outside hitter Destinee Hooker hammered out 22 kills on .432 hitting and collected 10 digs and sophomore opposite hitter Ashley Engle recorded 16 kills on 27 error-free swings, hit at a .593 clip and notched 11 digs.
· Sophomore opposite hitter Ashley Engle was named Big 12 Player of the Week on Nov. 12 after posting 4.57 points and 3.57 kills per-game and hitting at a .512 clip against Kansas and Texas A&M ... Engle averaged 2.00 digs, 0.86 blocks and 0.57 aces per-game and committed just three attack errors on 43 swings ... the honor is the seventh POW award for the Texas this season ... Engle is the fifth UT player to garner league honors in 2007, making UT the only school in Big 12 history to have five players earn POW accolades in the same season.
· Texas ranks eighth nationally in attendance with an average of 2,472 fans at its 2007 home dates ... 4,286 UT fans packed Gregory Gym on Wednesday, Oct. 24 to watch Texas take on No. 1 Nebraska, marking the largest crowd to witness a volleyball match in Gregory Gymnasium's current configuration ... Texas ranked ninth nationally with an average of 2,169 fans at its 2006 home dates.
· Texas is currently riding a 15-match home winning streak in regular season play, dating back to Texas' win over then-No. 23 Oklahoma on Oct. 21, 2006 ... in 2007 the Longhorns are a perfect 10-0 in the friendly confines of Gregory Gymnasium, including a 3-0 sweep of No. 1 Nebraska ... Texas owns a 30-1 games won mark in its 10 home victories ... at home the Horns are hitting .381 for the season, while limiting opponents to a .159 attack mark ... Texas out-kills opponents at Gregory 19.06 p/g-to-12.77 p/g and out-blocks its foes 3.45 pg-to-1.37 pg.
· In its 12 Big 12 Conference victories, Texas has dropped just four games, going five games with then-No. 17 Kansas State and dropping one game at Texas Tech and at home against Texas A&M ... The Longhorns have recorded 13 sweeps in Big 12 play (including No. 1 Nebraska) and 16 sweeps on the year ... UT's nine straight sweeps from Oct. 10-through-Nov. 7 set a school record for most consecutive sweeps.
· In its 12 Big 12 Conference matches, Texas has been impressive, ranking near the top of virtually every league statistical category in conference play ... The Longhorns rank first in the league with 3.47 blocks p/g, a .367 hitting percentage and 16.92 assists p/g ... Texas' 18.15 kills p/g rank second in league play.
· Individually, Juliann Faucette and Destinee Hooker rank first and third in the Big 12 in kills p/g with 5.02 and 4.72 respectively ... Faucette ranks second in the conference with 5.71 points p/g and eighth in hitting percentage (.342) ... Hooker ranks third in points (5.68) and sixth in hitting percentage (.369) ... Senior setter Michelle Moriarty paces the conference with 15.27 assists p/g in league play and middle blockers Lauren Paolini and Brandy Magee rank first and second in hitting percentage at .452 and .440.
LAST TIME OUT: TEXAS A&M (11/9/07)
LAST TIME AGAINST: TEXAS TECH (9/26/07) Texas used four double-digit kill efforts to knock off Texas Tech, 3-1 (30-17, 26-30, 30-20, 30-17), Sept. 26 at United Spirit Arena ... the Longhorns welcomed back opposite hitter Ashley Engle against the Red Raiders after the sophomore missed seven matches with an injury ... Engle hammered out 15 kills on the night and posted a career-best nine total blocks ... sophomore outside hitter Destinee Hooker headlined the Horns on the night with a match-high 21 kills on .500 hitting and chipped in a career-best eight total blocks ... freshman outside hitter Juliann Faucette and junior middle blocker Lauren Paolini joined them in double figures with 10 kills apiece.