Volleyball preview: Baylor
Nov. 3, 2008
• In the most recent release of the NCAA Statistics (Nov. 2), the Longhorns rank second on the national charts in hitting with their .342 attack mark ... Texas ranks No. 13 in kills per-set (14.35) and No. 27 in blocks per-set (2.54) ... senior All-America middle blocker Lauren Paolini ranks No. 2 nationally in hitting percentage with a .486 attack mark. ... junior All-America outside hitter Destinee Hooker holds the No. 20 position with 4.25 kills per-set ... freshman setter Michelle Kocher ranks 29th nationally with 10.92 assists per-set.
• Texas is hitting a conference-best .357 in league play, holding a large .088 edge on second-place Nebraska which is hitting .269 in the Big 12 ... senior All-America middle blocker Lauren Paolini is leading the way for UT in league play, hitting a Big 12-best .574, registering 112 kills on 183 swings, while committing just seven attack errors in 12 matches ... Paolini has recorded six error-free matches so far in Big 12 action ... junior All-America outside hitter Destinee Hooker ranks ninth in the league with a .324 attack mark, while leading the Big 12 with 5.47 points and 4.49 kills per-set.
• The 2008 Longhorns have been putting up robust team hitting numbers en route to leading the league with a .342 attack mark on the year and a .357 hitting clip in Big 12 play ... UT has hit .350 or better in 10 matches this season, while hitting at a .400 clip or better in six matches.
• Since head coach Jerritt Elliott arrived in Austin, the Longhorns have emerged as the dominant volleyball program in the state of Texas ... the Longhorns have posted a 60-7 (.896) record against in-state opponents during the Elliott era, including a 15-0 mark against Texas Tech and a 14-1 mark against Baylor ... Texas has won its last 34 matches versus in-state foes, last dropping a match on Oct. 16, 2004 to Texas A&M.
• Senior All-America middle blocker Lauren Paolini is in her final season on the Forty Acres and when her time is done her name will be written all over the Texas record books ... last season, Paolini hit .419 and set a new single-season attack mark, but she is on pace to obliterate that mark this season as she is hitting .486 through 20 matches ... the senior is also creeping up the career hitting charts, ranking second all-time at UT with her .360 attack mark, only trailing Brandy Magee's (2003-07) school record of .373 ... Paolini also ranks 10th all-time with 314 block assists and weighs in at 12th with 367 career total blocks.
• Following its loss to Nebraska (Sept. 12, 2007), Texas ran off 23 straight victories en route to making its second straight NCAA Regional finals appearance ... in 2008, the Horns are 9-1 since falling to the No. 2 Huskers on Sept. 20 in Lincoln, Neb. ... if Texas wins out they can earn a share of the Big 12 title.