Volleyball preview: Baylor
MATCH #21: No. 14 TEXAS (17-3, 11-2 Big 12) vs. BAYLOR (14-11, 5-8 Big 12)
When: Saturday, November 5, 2005 at 6:30 p.m.
· Texas has seven regular-season matches remaining ... UT went 5-2 against its remaining conference opponents in the first half of the schedule with the only losses coming on the road to Iowa State and Nebraska ... the Horns will play the rematches against both squads at home.
· Texas has won 11 of its last 12 matches, including five victories against ranked teams ... in that span, UT has won six matches in three games - including each of the last three, three in four games and two five-gamers.
· For the third time this season, Texas has won at least five matches in a row ... UT's victory at Texas State on Tuesday pushed its current winning streak to five, matching earlier runs in the season of five matches and six matches.
· The Longhorns have now been ranked in 23-straight editions of the AVCA poll, dating back to Sept. 20, 2004 when they cracked the poll at No. 22 after opening the season 10-0.
· Texas has an all-time program record of 879-327-14 (.726) ... the Longhorns have an all-time record of 133-60 (.689) in Big 12 play, spanning 10 seasons of play ... Texas won its first Big 12 title in 1997 and has a total of three second-place finishes (1996, 1998 and 2004).
· UT jumped into the national rankings in two more categories this week, placing 30th in blocks per game (2.93) and 22nd in win-loss percentage (.842) ... as a team, UT is also ranked 24th in assists per game (15.0) and 18th in hitting percentage (.273) ... Individually, Michelle Moriarty is ranked 10th in assists per game (13.38), Leticia Armstrong is ranked 22nd in hitting percentage (.396) and 30th in blocks per game (1.45) and Brandy Magee is ranked 21st in hitting percentage (.396).
· Michelle Moriarty is ranked first in the Big 12 (conference matches only) in assists per game with a 13.60 mark as she leads All-American Lindsey Hunter from Missouri (13.41) ... Moriarty, with 2,326 assists in her career, is 17 assists shy of seventh place on the UT career list ... Jenny Andrew is in 11th place on the list with 1,434.
· Dariam Acevedo has been on a tear in the last four matches, all UT victories ... she has averaged 4.85 kills per game, hit .373, been perfect on the serve receive and has averaged 0.77 blocks per game and 2.69 digs per game.
· Leticia Armstrong has recorded double-figure kills in 11 of the team's 13 Big 12 matches and she is ranked fifth in the Big 12 (conf. matches only) in kills per game and fourth in hitting percentage ... Armstrong's 186 kills in league play is the fifth-highest total in the conference, as well.
· In the last two conference matches, Jen Christian has had one of the better all-around performances on the team ... she's averaged 3.5 kills per game, hit .289, collected 11 aces (1.83 per game) and added 17 digs (2.8 per game) and six blocks (1.00 per game), all marks far and above her season averages.
· Texas has won its last 13 home matches and 23 of its last 24 at Gregory Gym ... UT's last loss at home - and only loss at home in 2004 - was a 3-2 loss to No. 4 Nebraska on Oct. 20, 2004 ... it was the Horns' only loss in Austin since the tail end of the 2003 season (Nov. 19, 2003 vs. Colorado).