Volleyball preview: Oklahoma [Volley for the Cure]
Oct. 27, 2008
MATCH #19: No. 3 TEXAS (16-2, 9-1 Big 12) vs. Oklahoma (8-12, 4-8 Big 12)
• The Longhorns finished out the first half of their Big12 calendar on Wednesday (Oct. 22) at Texas Tech, downing the Red Raiders, 3-0 ... sophomore middle blocker Jennifer Doris headlined the UT attack with a career-best 12 kills and a career-high .688 attack mark ... the Horns then downed BYU, 3-0 on Friday (Oct. 24), taking advantage of a 13-kill, .500 hitting effort by junior All-America outside hitter Destinee Hooker.
• Texas is hitting a conference-best .364 in league play, holding a large .079 edge on second-place Nebraska which is hitting .285 in the Big 12 ... senior All-America middle blocker Lauren Paolini is leading the way for UT in league play, hitting a Big 12-best .592, registering 96 kills on 152 swings, while committing just six attack errors in 10 matches ... Paolini has recorded five error-free matches so far in Big 12 action ... junior All-America outside hitter Destinee Hooker ranks eighth in the league with a .340 attack mark, while leading the Big 12 with 5.36 points and 4.49 kills per-set ... freshman setter Michelle Kocher ranks second in the conference in league play with 11.97 assists per-set.
• The 2008 Longhorns have been putting up robust team hitting numbers en route to leading the league with a .344 attack mark on the year and a .364 hitting clip in Big 12 play ... UT has hit .350 or better in 10 matches this season, while hitting at a .400 clip or better in six matches.
• In the most recent release of the NCAA Statistics (Oct. 27), the Longhorns rank second on the national charts in hitting with their .344 attack mark ... Texas ranks No. 9 in kills per-set (14.41) and No. 22 in blocks per-set (2.58) ... senior All-America middle blocker Lauren Paolini ranks No. 2 nationally in hitting percentage with a .486 attack mark. ... junior All-America outside hitter Destinee Hooker holds the No. 22 position with 4.22 kills per-set ... freshman setter Michelle Kocher ranks 26th nationally with 10.97 assists per-set.
• Senior All-America middle blocker Lauren Paolini is in her final season on the Forty Acres and when her time is done her name will be written all over the Texas record books ... last season, Paolini hit .419 and set a new single-season attack mark, but she is on pace to obliterate that mark this season as she is hitting .486 through 18 matches ... the senior is also creeping up the career hitting charts, ranking second all-time at UT with her .358 attack mark, only trailing Brandy Magee's (2003-07) school record of .373 ... Paolini also ranks 10th all-time with 310 block assists and weighs in at 13th with 362 career total blocks.
• Following its loss to Nebraska (Sept. 12, 2007), Texas ran off 23 straight victories en route to making its second straight NCAA Regional finals appearance ... in 2008, the Horns are riding a 10-match winning streak since falling to the No. 2 Huskers on Sept. 20 in Lincoln, Neb.
• The Horns' current 23-match home winning streak is the third-best in school history and spans from Sept. 7, 2007 to present ... the Longhorns; regular-season winning streak of 21 matches was snapped against Stanford on Aug. 31, but it stands as the third-longest streak in UT history.