Volleyball preview: Colorado
MATCH #20: No. 8 TEXAS (14-5, 9-3 Big 12) vs. Colorado (12-7, 8-4 Big 12)
· Texas moved up to No. 8 in the latest CSTV/AVCA poll, released Monday, Oct. 23 ... UT has been ranked in the Top 10 of the poll in 8-of-9 weeks this season ... The Longhorns began the 2006 campaign ranked 8th in the preseason poll, marking the team's highest preseason ranking since 1998 (9) ... Texas earned its highest ranking in the poll Sept. 11 when it was voted No. 5, staying there for two weeks.
· The Big 12 Conference named Destinee Hooker its player of the week Oct. 23 after Hooker totaled 50 kills against No. 1 Nebraska and No. 23 Oklahoma last week ... Hooker set a new career-high with 24 kills against Nebraska (Oct. 18) and reset the mark with 26 kills against Oklahoma (Oct. 21) ... The freshman hit at a .538 clip against the Huskers and paced the Horns with a .364 attack mark and five total blocks against the Sooners ... The award is the first volleyball POW award for Hooker, but the third overall after garnering POW honors last spring in indoor and outdoor track and field.
· Freshman outside hitter Ashley Engle has recorded a kill/dig double-double in each of her last eight matches, dating back to Texas' loss at Oklahoma (Sept. 27) ... on the year Engle has totaled 11 double-doubles ... senior outside hitter Dariam Acevedo has tallied eight kill/dig double-doubles on the season and has accomplished the feat in five of her last nine matches ... junior setter Michelle Moriarty has 13 assist/dig double-doubles on the year, including seven in her last eight contests.
· The Longhorns picked up their sixth win in their last seven chances, Wednesday when they rallied from a game one loss to knock off Texas Tech, 3-1 (29-31, 30-21, 30-19, 30-21) ... Ashley Engle posted a team-high 16 kills in the match, while adding 12 digs ... Michelle Moriarty steadied the offense with 52 assists and pitched in 10 digs, while freshman outside hitter Destinee Hooker hammered out 15 kills on .312 hitting in the victory.
· Texas has the easiest road through the Big 12 in its next five matches, as the Horns take on the 11th toughest schedule of all Big 12 teams during that stretch ... UT's next five opponents have a combined .407 winning percentage in league play ... Missouri has the toughest calendar of opponents at .610, while Kansas State is second with its opponents combining for a .586 winning percentage ... Texas Tech ranks third (.569), Colorado ranks fourth (.542), Kansas and Texas A&M tie for fifth (.492), Nebraska ranks seventh (.483), Oklahoma and Iowa State rank eighth (.475), while Baylor ranks 10th (.433).
· Senior outside hitter Dariam Acevedo has recorded 10 kills or more in 16 of the Horns' 19 contests, including eight kill/dig double-doubles ... Acevedo posted a season-high 26 kills in UT's loss to Oklahoma (Sept. 27) and has eclipsed 20 kills in five matches this season ... The senior has recorded 10 kills or more in all of the Horns matches, except the Colorado (Sept. 20), Oklahoma (Oct. 21) and Texas Tech (Oct. 25) matches ... In 2005, she recorded a season best and career-high 27-kill performance against Baylor (Nov. 5, 2005).
· Several Longhorns blanket the most recent release of the Big 12 Conference's statistical leaders ... Junior setter Michelle Moriarty ranks atop the league in assists with 13.61 assists per game, and ranks second in the conference with 13.58 assists/pg in conference matches ... The Longhorns rank second in the Big 12 with a .255 attack mark, while ranking second with a 16.54 kills per game average ... Sophomore Lauren Paolini ranks fifth in the Big 12 in hitting percentage, with a .359 attack mark against conference foes, while Ashley Engle ranks eighth in kills per-game average, with a 4.02 mark in conference play.