MATCH #15: No. 18 TEXAS (13-2, 7-1 Big 12) at No. 1 NEBRASKA (17-0, 8-0 Big 12)
When: Saturday, October 15, 2005 at 7 p.m.
Where: Lincoln, Neb. (NU Coliseum)
Television: Match will air on a tape-delayed basis on CSTV (Sunday, Oct. 16, at 2 p.m.)
All-Time Series Record: Texas trails Nebraska, 11-24 (6-9 home, 2-13 away, 3-2 neutral)
Series Streak: Nebraska has won the 11 meetings and 14 of the last 15 dating back to 1997
Last Meeting: Nebraska won, 3-0 (30-20, 30-19, 30-22), in Lincoln on Nov. 24, 2004
Last Texas victory: Texas won, 3-2 (15-11, 7-15, 12-15, 15-9, 15-13) in Austin on Oct. 23, 1999
Head Coach Jerritt Elliott vs. Nebraska: 0-8 (all at Texas)
· UT has won its last six matches and 11 of its last 12, the team's best 12-match stretch since opening the 2004 season 16-0 ... UT also had a five-match winning streak earlier this season (Sept. 9 through Sept. 14).
· UT is 4-0 in matches against ranked teams in 2005 (3-2 vs. No. 24 Kansas, 3-0 at No. 16 Kansas State, 3-2 at No. 23 Texas A&M and 3-0 vs. No. 7 Missouri).
· The Longhorns are 3-3 in their last six matches against top-10 teams ... the victories came against No. 5 Kansas State (3-1 in Austin on Nov. 29, 2003), at No. 5 Florida (3-1 on Sept. 29, 2004) and against No. 7 Missouri (3-0 in Austin on Oct. 12, 2005) ... the three losses have been to No. 6 Stanford (3-0 in the NCAA Sweet 16 on Dec. 10, 2004) and both 2004 meetings with Nebraska (3-2 on Oct. 20 in Austin and 3-0 in Lincoln on Nov. 24).
· Texas ranks the top three in every offensive category in the Big 12 statistics (conference matches only) behind only Nebraska and Missouri ... UT is also in the top three in every defensive category (opponents' stats against Texas), except blocks where the team is ranked fifth.
· Leticia Armstrong has recorded double-figure kills in seven of the team's eight Big 12 matches and has not hit lower than .344 in the team's last 12 matches.
· Alyson Jennings has recorded double-figure digs in 12 of 14 matches this season, including three 20-dig efforts ... one of the team's primary passers, Jennings has only seven return errors in 52 games on the year.
· Since starting to play all six rotations five matches ago against Kansas, Jen Christian had recorded double-figure points in five of six matches, her only such occurrences of the season.
· Texas' 53 kills in Wednesday's three-game match against Missouri was the team's second-highest three-game total of the season (57 against N.C. State on Sept. 10).
· So far this season, Texas has used a steady rotation of two freshmen, four sophomores and three juniors, routinely starting a total of five freshmen or sophomores.
· The Longhorns have now been ranked in 20-straight editions of the AVCA poll, dating back to Sept. 20, 2004 when they cracked the poll at No. 22 after opening the season 10-0.
· Texas has an all-time program record of 874-326-14 (.726) ... the Longhorns have an all-time record of 129-59 (.686) in Big 12 play, spanning 10 seasons of play ... Texas won its first Big 12 title in 1997 and has a total of three second-place finishes (1996, 1998 and 2004).
· Texas has won its last 11 home matches and 21 of its last 22 at Gregory Gym ... UT's last loss at home - and only loss at home in 2004 - was a 3-2 loss to No. 4 Nebraska on Oct. 20, 2004 ... it was the Horns' only loss in Austin since the tail end of the 2003 season.
· Texas will look to break the Gregory Gym attendance record on Saturday, Oct. 22, whne the team hosts Kansas State ... the current record is 5,072, set on Oct. 21, 1998 when Texas A&M came to town ... the 7 p.m. match is free to fans who present a ticket stub from the 2:30 p.m. Texas-Texas Tech football game.
GET GREGORY GOING!!
The Texas Volleyball program is looking to its fans to help break the Gregory Gym attendance record when the team hosts Kansas State on Saturday, Oct. 22 ... the current attendance record is 5,072, which was set on Oct. 21, 1998 when UT defeated No. 15 Texas A&M, 3-1 ... the 7 p.m. is free to all fans presenting a ticket stub from the 2:30 p.m. Texas-Texas Tech football game ... other promotions that evening include $2.00 general admission tickets for all volleyball coaches and teams who come wearing team jerseys, and $2.00 general admission tickets with the printable coupon available at · Bevo's Bargins· at TexasSports.com
The Longhorns have won all four matches they have played against ranked teams in 2005 ... Texas is 3-3 in its last six match against top-10 teams with victories over No. 5 Kansas State (11/29/03), No. 5 Florida (9/29/04) and No. 7 Missouri (10/12/05) ... Texas is 11-0 when hitting .250 or better in a match, and 9-0 when leading in blocks... Texas has won the first game of the match in all but one match this season, going 12-1 when winning that first game ... UT is also 10-0 when winning game two of a match ... Texas has hit .300 or better in six matches this season, including a pair of .400 or better efforts ... the Horns have led in attack percentage in 13 of 14 matches this season ... UT is 4-1 in televised matches this year and has won the last four matches ... Texas had led in service aces in 12 of 14 matches, winning 11 of those ... conversely, the Horns have held opponents to a .250 hitting percentage or worse in 11 matches, including under .100 in three contests ... only three teams have hit better than .200 against Texas this year (N.C. State, Kansas and Missouri).
Michelle Moriarty is now ranked ninth on Texas' career assist list with 2,067 assists ... Moriarty also has 39 kills on the season, more than she totaled in 2004 (24) ... Dariam Acevedo has nine double-figure kill performances so far this season, compared to seven in all of 2004 ... Acevedo has four-straight double-figure kill matches, connecting for 3.93 kills per game in those contests ... Brandy Magee has nine double-figure kill matches this season, compared to 13 in all of 2004 ... since the first match of the season where she collected only three kills on six attacks for a .167 mark, Magee hasn't had match below .300 and has had seven matches of .400 or better ... Leticia Armstrong now has eight double-figure kill matches so far this season, including each of the team's first four Big 12 Conference matches and seven of the eight total ... Alyson Jennings has recorded at least one ace in each of the last seven matches after collecting only four in the first six matches ... Jennings' return error against Missouri was her first since Sept. 21 - a span of more than 160 receptions ... Moriarty has now started every match UT has played since she arrived on campus in the fall of 2004, a total of 45 ... Lauren Paolini has hit . 410 (29-6-56) since moving to the ride side and playing only three rotations four matches ago ... Jen Christian has at least one ace in each of the last four matches and only has two return errors since she began playing all six rotations five matches ago.