Volleyball preview: Texas A&M
MATCH #16: No. 10 TEXAS (11-4, 6-2 Big 12) vs. Texas A&M (9-7, 3-3 Big 12)
· The Longhorns notched a 3-2 (27-30, 30-26, 30-26, 31-33, 15-10) victory over Baylor on Friday, Oct. 6, pushing their conference record to 6-2 and moving the Longhorns into fourth place in the Big 12 ... In the match freshman opposite hitter Ashley Engle posted her fourth consecutive kill/dig double-double with her 26-kill, 16-dig performance ... Dariam Acevedo added a 20 kills and 8 digs, ending her four-match kill/dig double-double streak ... freshman outside hitter Destinee Hooker registered 20 kills on .327 hitting and seven total blocks in the victory.
· Texas has a tough road through the Big 12 in its next five matches, taking on the second toughest schedule of all Big 12 teams during that stretch ... UT's next five opponents have a combined .600 winning percentage in league play ... Kansas State has the toughest calendar of opponents at .683, while Texas A&M ranks third (.585), Missouri fourth (.525), Nebraska fifth (.488), Baylor seventh (.476), Kansas eighth (.475), Texas Tech ninth (.415), Oklahoma 10th (.405) and Iowa State 11th (.317).
· Senior outside hitter Dariam Acevedo has recorded 10 kills or more in 14 of the Horns' 15 contests, including seven kill/dig double-doubles ... Acevedo posted a season-high 26 kills in UT's loss to Oklahoma (Sept. 27) and has eclipsed 20 kills in five matches this season ... The senior broke her nine-game streak with 10 kills or more on Sept. 20 when she recorded nine kills in UT's 3-0 sweep of Colorado, but she has strung together five straight double figure kill performances, including 26 kills at Oklahoma and 20 kills against Baylor ... In 2005, she recorded a season best and career-high 27-kill performance against Baylor (Nov. 5, 2005).
· In the NCAA's most recent release (Oct. 8) of national statistics, junior setter Michelle Moriarty ranked third in assists per game average, with a 13.76 average ... The Texas team ranks sixth in assists with a 15.84 a/pg average and eighth in the country with 16.74 kills/pg.
· Several Longhorns blanket the most recent release of the Big 12 Conference's statistical leaders ... Junior setter Michelle Moriarty ranks atop the league in assists with 13.76 assists per game, and ranks atop the conference with 13.87 assists/pg in conference matches ... The Longhorns rank second in the Big 12 with a .259 attack mark in conference matches, while ranking second with 16.67 kills per game average ... Sophomore Lauren Paolini ranks third in the Big 12 in hitting percentage, with a .410 attack mark against conference foes.
· Jerritt Elliott's squad boasts an abundance of height in 2006 ... Texas is in a three-way tie with No. 1 Nebraska and No. 23 Pepperdine for being the tallest team in the top 25, with an average height of 6-1 ... Lauren Paolini and RuthAnn Feist each stand 6-5, while Destinee Hooker is 6-4 and six other players measure in at 6-1 or taller.