Volleyball preview: Baylor
MATCH #14: No. 7 TEXAS (10-3, 6-1 Big 12) vs. Baylor (9-8, 2-5 Big 12)
All-Time Series Record: Texas leads Baylor, 58-2 (28-0 home, 6-0 neutral, 24-2 away)
· UT's 3-2 win over Kansas State (Oct. 6) extended the Longhorns' season-best winning streak to six matches ... Senior setter Michelle Moriarty steadied the Texas attack in the match, registering 55 assists, 10 digs and four blocks, while posting her second straight assist/dig double-double ... Junior middle blocker Lauren Paolini helped the Horns to victory with 11 kills, a .611 attack mark, zero hitting errors and nine total blocks.
· In its seven Big 12 Conference matches, Texas has been impressive, ranking near the top of virtually every league statistical category in league play ... The Longhorns rank first in the league with 3.25 blocks p/g and rank second in hitting percentage (.323), assists (16.33) and kills (17.46) ... Individually, Juliann Faucette and Destinee Hooker rank first and second in kills p/g with 5.29 and 4.81 respectively ... Hooker leads the conference with 6.00 points p/g and ranks fifth in blocks (1.33) and seventh in service aces (0.33) ... Faucette ranks second in points (5.81) and third in hitting percentage (.381) ... Senior setter Michelle Moriarty paces the conference with 14.71 assists p/g and middle blockers Brandy Magee and Lauren Paolini rank fifth in hitting percentage at .377.
· Longhorns' sophomore outside hitter Destinee Hooker was named Sports Imports/AVCA National Player of the Week and Big 12 Conference Player of the Week on Oct. 1 after leading Texas to a pair of Big 12 Conference victories over Texas Tech and Colorado ... Hooker posted 5.43 kills per-game, while hitting at a .431 clip ... the sophomore averaged 1.57 digs and 1.29 blocks for the week and led Texas with a team-high 6.57 points per-game ... the award was her second of the season and fourth of her career.
· Texas' 3-0 victory over Texas A&M (Oct. 3) was UT's ninth win its last 10 chances, only losing to No. 1 Nebraska in Lincoln ... Against the Aggies, freshman outside hitter Juliann Faucette registered a match-high 20 kills on .395 hitting and tallied 11 digs to post her third career kill/dig double-double ... Senior setter Michelle Moriarty helmed the offense with 57 assists and helped the defense with a match-high 12 digs.
· Several current Longhorns are etching their names into the Texas career record books ... senior setter Michelle Moriarty claimed the top spot on the career assists chart in 2006 and Brandy Magee is UT's all-time leader in career hitting percentage ... senior Alyson Jennings moved into fourth-place all-time in digs with her 11-dig effort against Iowa State (Sept. 19), and currently has 1,313 career digs ... Moriarty ranks 20th all-time with 818 career digs and ties with Jennings for 20th place with 369 career games played ... Magee ranks eighth in block assists (334) and 12th in total blocks (363).
· Head coach Jerritt Elliott is in his seventh season at the helm of the Longhorns Volleyball program ... Elliott has compiled a 139-57 (.709) record at Texas to go with his nine-year career record of 189-69 (.733) ... Elliott enjoyed his greatest success at Texas in 2006, as the Horns (24-7) made their first NCAA Regional finals appearance since 1998 ... with a 3-2 victory at Colorado on Nov. 9, 2005, Elliott recorded both his 150th career victory and his 100th career UT victory.
LAST TIME OUT: KANSAS STATE (10/6/2007)
LAST TIME AGAINST BAYLOR (11/4/2006)