Volleyball preview: Baylor
Oct. 6, 2008
MATCH #13: No. 3 TEXAS (10-2, 4-1 Big 12) vs. Baylor (12-3, 4-1 Big 12)
• Texas is hitting a conference-best .338 in league play, holding a large .060 edge on second-place Baylor which is hitting .278 in the Big 12 … senior All-America middle blocker Lauren Paolini is leading the way for UT in league play, hitting a Big 12-best .588, registering 53 kills on 85 swings, while committing just three attack errors in five matches … Paolini has recorded three error-free matches so far in Big 12 action … junior All-America outside hitter Destinee Hooker ranks fifth in the league with a .377 attack mark, while leading the Big 12 with 5.56 points and 4.89 kills per-set.
• Junior outside hitter Destinee Hooker and freshman setter Michelle Kocher were named the Big 12 Conference Player and Rookie of the Week (10/6) for the second straight week after leading the Longhorns to victories over Oklahoma and No. 17 Kansas State last week ... the award is the seventh weekly honor of Hooker’s career and the third in 2008, while Kocher earns her second career award.
• Since head coach Jerritt Elliott arrived in Austin, the Longhorns have emerged as the dominant volleyball program in the state of Texas ... the Longhorns have posted a 56-7 (.888) record against in-state opponents during the Elliott era, including a 14-0 mark against Texas Tech and a 13-1 mark against Baylor ... Texas has won its last 30 matches versus in-state foes, last dropping a match on Oct. 16, 2004 to Texas A&M.
• In the most recent release of the NCAA Statistics (Oct. 6), the Longhorns rank third on the national charts in hitting with their .325 attack mark ... Texas ranks No. 17 in blocks per-set (2.74) and kills per-set (14.07) ... senior All-America middle blocker Lauren Paolini ranks No. 3 nationally in hitting percentage with a .463 attack mark. ... junior All-America outside hitter Destinee Hooker holds the No. 18 position with 4.28 kills per-set.
• The Horns’ current 20-match home winning streak is the third-best in school history and spans from Sept. 7, 2007 to present ... the Longhorns; regular-season winning streak of 21 matches was snapped against Stanford on Aug. 31, but it stands as the third-longest streak in UT history.
• Senior middle blocker Lauren Paolini has shined in Texas’ five Big 12 Conference matches ... committing zero errors and hitting at an .800 clip against Nebraska (9/20), recording zero miscues, while hitting .600 at Kansas (9/27) and going error-free and hitting 1.000 against No. 17 Kansas State (10/4) ... Paolini has only committed three hitting errors in five Big 12 matches ... she is hitting a Big 12-best .463 on the year and a league-best .588 in conference matches.