Volleyball preview: Baylor
MATCH #13: No. 19 TEXAS (10-2, 5-1 Big 12) at BAYLOR (9-8, 1-5 Big 12)
When: Saturday, Oct. 8, 2005 at 7 p.m.
· Texas ranks the top three in every offensive category in the Big 12 statistics (conference matches only) behind only Nebraska and Missouri ... UT is third in hitting (.262), third in assists (14.88/game), third in kills (15.88/game) and second in aces (1.92/game) ... defensively, UT is in the top seven of the three categories.
· Lauren Paolini returned to regular action on Wednesday at Texas A&M, moving to the right side ... she collected 16 kills and hit a career best .609 on 23 attempts ... the 6-5 freshman also chipped in a career-high six blocks ... Paolini's 16 kills marked her first double-figure kill match since she had a streak of five straight to open the season.
· Brandy Magee led UT to the Horns' first win at Texas A&M since 1998 with a season-best 22 kills and .625 attack percentage (on 32 attacks) while also adding six blocks ... she had five kills and hit .833 in game five.
· Leticia Armstrong has recorded double-figure kills in five of the last six matches and has not hit lower than .344 in the team's last 10 matches ... she has also collected 31 blocks (all block assists) in the last five matches ... she is now third in the Big 12 in hitting percentage (.411) and is ranked 10th nationally in that category.
· Alyson Jennings has recorded double-figure digs in 10 of 12 matches this season, including three 20-dig efforts ... as one of the team's primary passers, Jennings has only had six return errors on the year in 45 games.
· So far this season, Texas has used a steady rotation of two freshmen, four sophomores and three juniors, routinely starting a total of five freshmen or sophomores.
· The Longhorns have now been ranked in 19-straight editions of the AVCA poll, dating back to Sept. 20, 2004 when they cracked the poll at No. 22 after opening the season 10-0.
· Texas has won the first game of the match in all but one match this season, going 10-1 when winning that first game.
· Texas has an all-time program record of 872-326-14 (.725) ... the Longhorns have an all-time record of 127-59 (.683) in Big 12 play, spanning 10 seasons of play ... Texas won its first Big 12 title in 1997 and has a total of three second-place finishes (1996, 1998 and 2004).
· The Big 12 will release a 10th Anniversary All-Big 12 team on Nov. 8 which will be voted on by media members and fans ... fans will be able to vote at Big12Sports.com from Oct. 1 through Nov. 1.
· Texas has won its last 10 home matches and 20 of its last 21 at Gregory Gym ... UT's last loss at home - and only loss at home in 2004 - was a 3-2 loss to No. 4 Nebraska on Oct. 20, 2004 ... it was the Horns' only loss in Austin since the tail end of the 2003 season.