MATCH #14: No. 11 TEXAS (9-4, 4-2 Big 12) vs. Iowa State (11-4, 3-2 Big 12)
When: Tuesday, Oct. 3, 6:30 p.m. Central
Where: Ames, Iowa (Hilton Coliseum)
All-Time Series Record: Texas leads, 17-1 (10-0 home, 0-0 neutral, 8-1 away)
Last Meeting: Nov. 12, 2005; Texas won, 3-0 (30-20, 30-23, 30-22)
Current Streak: Texas won the last meeting
· Texas dropped to No. 11 in the latest CSTV/AVCA poll, released Monday, Oct. 2 ... The Longhorns began the 2006 campaign ranked 8th in the preseason poll, marking the team's highest preseason ranking since 1998 (9) ... Texas earned its highest ranking in the poll Sept. 11 when it was voted No. 5, staying there for two weeks.
· The Longhorns posted a 1-1 record in Big 12 play last week, moving their season conference record to 4-2 ... Following a 3-2 loss to Oklahoma on Sept. 27, UT jumped back on the winning track with a 3-2 (28-30, 25-30, 30-26, 30-16, 15-10) victory over Kansas State ... In the match Michelle Moriarty, Ashley Engle and Dariam Acevedo each posted a double-double, while Lauren Paolini came off the bench to record 15 kills and hit at a .519 clip ... Moriarty tallied her seventh assist/dig double-double of the season with 75 assists and 16 digs, Engle totaled 18 kills and 15 digs and Acevedo recorded15 kills and a career-high 22 digs.
· Texas has a tough road through the Big 12 in its next five matches, taking on the toughest schedule of any Big 12 team during that stretch ... UT's next five opponents have a combined .600 winning percentage in league play ... The Horns are followed by Texas A&M (.556), Kansas State (.536), Iowa State (.517), Nebraska (.500), Missouri (.500), Baylor (.500), Kansas (.462), Texas Tech (.462), Colorado (.423) and Oklahoma (.321).
· Senior outside hitter Dariam Acevedo has recorded 10 kills or more in 12 of the Horns' 13 contests ... Acevedo posted a season-high 26 kills in UT's loss to Oklahoma (Sept. 27) and has eclipsed 20 kills in four matches this season ... The senior broke her nine-game streak with 10 kills or more on Sept. 20 when she recorded nine kills in UT's 3-0 sweep of Colorado, but she has strung togehter three straight double figure kill performances with 11 kills at Missouri, 26 at Oklahoma and 15 against Kansas State ... In 2005, she recorded a season best and career-high 27-kill performance against Baylor (Nov. 5, 2005).
· In the NCAA's most recent release (Sept. 24) of national statistics, junior setter Michelle Moriarty ranked fifth in assists per game average, with a 13.70 average ... The Texas team ranks fourth in assists with a 16.04 a/pg average and fifth in the country with 17.13 kills/pg ... The Horns' .270 team hitting percentage ranked 21st in the country.
· Several Longhorns blanket the most recent release of the Big 12 Conference's statistical leaders ... Junior setter Michelle Moriarty ranks atop the league in assists with 13.64 assists per game, and ranks second in the conference with 13.64 assists/pg in conference matches ... The Longhorns rank second in the Big 12 with a .254 attack mark in conference matches, and a 16.68 kills per game average ... Two Horns rank in the Top 10 in hitting in Big 12 Conference matches; sophomore Lauren Paolini leads the league with a .443 hitting percentage against conference foes, while senior Jennifer Todd (.349) ranks fifth.
· Jerritt Elliott's squad boasts an abundance of height in 2006 ... Texas is in a three-way tie with No. 1 Nebraska and No. 23 Pepperdine for being the tallest team in the top 25, with an average height of 6-1 ... Lauren Paolini and RuthAnn Feist each stand 6-5, while Destinee Hooker is 6-4 and six other players measure in at 6-1 or taller.