Volleyball preview: Oklahoma
MATCH #11: No. 22 TEXAS (8-2, 3-1 Big 12) vs. OKLAHOMA (5-8, 0-5 Big 12)
When: Saturday, October 1, 2005 at 6:30 p.m.
· After playing sparingly as a redshirt freshman, Leticia Armstrong is now second in the Big 12 in hitting percentage (.448) and is ranked fifth nationally in the category ... in Big 12 matches only, she is also ranked fourth in kills/game (4.31) and sixth in points/game (4.94) while recording double-figure kills in each of four matches.
· Since the Horns made Jen Christian an all-court player two matches ago - having her play all six rotations for the first time in her career - she has recorded one double-double and has had back-to-back matches with 10 digs, career highs.
· Through four Big 12 Conference matches, Brandy Magee has already recorded 33 percent of her entire 20-match kill total from the 2004 Big 12 season ... so far in 2005, Magee has 65 kills, 1/3 of her 195 she recorded in 20 league matches last season.
· Alyson Jennings has recorded double-figure digs in eight of 10 matches this season, including two 20-dig efforts ... as one of the team's primary passers, Jennings has only had six return errors on the year in 37 games.
· So far this season, Texas has used a steady rotation of two freshmen, four sophomores and three juniors, routinely starting a total of five freshmen or sophomores.
· The Longhorns have now been ranked in 18-straight editions of the AVCA poll, dating back to Sept. 20, 2004 when they cracked the poll at No. 22 after opening the season 10-0.
· Despite hitting just .177 on Wednesday in their victory over No. 16 Kansas State, Texas won its first match of the season when hitting below .200.
· Texas has won the first game of the match in all but one match this season, going 8-1 when winning that first game.
· Texas has an all-time program record of 870-326-14 (.725) ... the Longhorns have an all-time record of 125-59 (.679) in Big 12 play, spanning 10 seasons of play ... Texas won its first Big 12 title in 1997 and has a total of three second-place finishes (1996, 1998 and 2004).
· The Big 12 will release a 10th Anniversary All-Big 12 team on Nov. 8 which will be voted on by media members and fans ... fans will be able to vote at from Oct. 1 through Nov. 1.