Volleyball preview: Colorado
MATCH #11: No. 7 TEXAS (7-3, 3-1 Big 12) vs. Colorado (5-7, 0-4 Big 12)
LAST TIME OUT at TEXAS TECH
LAST TIME AGAINST COLORADO (10/28/06)
· Texas was ranked No. 7 in the CSTV/AVCA poll, released Monday, Sept. 24 for the fourth straight week ... Texas opened the season ranked No. 4 in the preseason poll, equaling its best preseason ranking in program history (1998).
· Texas extended its Big 12 Conference winning streak to three matches with its 3-1 win over Texas Tech on Sept. 26 ... Sophomore opposite hitter Ashley Engle returned to the Texas lineup at Tech after missing seven matches and posted 15 kills, six digs and a career-best nine blocks ... Sophomore outside hitter Destinee Hooker registered a match-high 21 kills on .500 hitting to pace the UT offense, while junior middle blocker Lauren Paolini and freshman outside hitter Juliann Faucette each contributed 10 kills.
· At Texas Tech, the Longhorns posted their best blocking effort in over five years, tallying 20.0 total blocks ... the mark was the best UT has posted since registering 22.0 blocks against Akron on Sept. 13, 2002 ... Senior middle blocker Brandy Magee (11 blocks), sophomore opposite hitter Ashley Engle (nine blocks) and sophomore outside hitter Destinee Hooker (eight blocks) all set new career-highs in blocks against the Red Raiders.
· Several current Longhorns are etching their names into the Texas career record books ... senior setter Michelle Moriarty claimed the top spot on the career assists chart in 2006 and Brandy Magee is UT's all-time leader in career hitting percentage ... senior Alyson Jennings moved into fourth-place all-time in digs with her 11-dig effort against Iowa State (Sept. 19), and currently has 1,282 career digs ... Magee ranks ninth in block assists (319) and 13th in total blocks (348).
· Head coach Jerritt Elliott is in his seventh season at the helm of the Longhorns Volleyball program ... Elliott has compiled a 136-57 (.705) record at Texas to go with his nine-year career record of 186-69 (.729) ... Elliott enjoyed his greatest success at Texas in 2006, as the Horns (24-7) made their first NCAA Regional finals appearance since 1998 ... with a 3-2 victory at Colorado on Nov. 9, 2005, Elliott recorded both his 150th career victory and his 100th career UT victory.
· Texas ranks 12th nationally in attendance with an average of 1,967 fans at its 2007 home dates ... UT fans packed Gregory Gym Friday, Sept. 7 when 2,637 fans watched Texas take on Pepperdine, marking the largest crowd this season ... Texas ranked ninth nationally with an average of 2,169 fans at its 2006 home dates.