No. 22 Texas (7-2, 2-1 Big 12)at No. 16 Kansas State (11-2, 2-1 Big 12)
When: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 at 7 p.m.
Where: Manhattan, Kan. (Ahern Field House)
Television: Fox Sports Midwest (Tape delayed until Sunday, Oct. 2 at 1:30 p.m.)
Live Video: None
All-Time Series Record: Texas leads the all-time series, 13-7 (7-3 home, 5-4 away, 1-0 neutral)
Series Streak: UT has won the last three meetings and five of the last six after KSU had won a streak of six in a row
Last Meeting: Texas won, 3-0 (30-27, 30-25, 30-23) in Austin on Oct. 23, 2004
Last Kansas State victory: KSU won, 3-2 (19-30, 30-24, 20-30, 30-25, 16-14) in Manhattan on Oct. 15, 2003
Head Coach Jerritt Elliott vs. Kansas State: 5-3 (all at Texas)
· Texas has an all-time program record of 869-326-14 (.725) ... the Longhorns have an all-time record of 124-59 (.678) in Big 12 play, spanning 10 seasons of play ... Texas won its first Big 12 title in 1997 and has a total of three second-place finishes (1996, 1998 and 2004).
· The Big 12 will release a 10th Anniversary All-Big 12 team on Nov. 8 which will be voted on by media members and fans ... fans will be able to vote at Big12Sports.com from Oct. 1 through Nov. 1.
· Texas has now won its last six matches against Texas from Kansas (3-0 against Kansas and 3-0 against Kansas State) since the last match of the 2003 season (a 3-1 victory over No. 5 KSU in Austin).
· After playing sparingly as a redshirt freshman, Leticia Armstrong now leads the Big 12 in hitting percentage (.448) and is ranked eighth in blocks per game (1.35).
· Jen Christian, playing for one of the first times in all six rotations, had a career night last Wednesday against Kansas, swinging for 20 kills, smashing her previous best of 12 ... she also added a career-best 45 attacks and had her first double-double with 10 digs, also a career-best, passing her previous best of six ... additionally, she tied her career best with five blocks.
· Dariam Acevedo also had a strong outing against Kansas, adding 22 kills - one off her career high of 23 - and hitting at a .300 mark on 50 attempts while adding a career-best five blocks.
· In the last three matches, Brandy Magee and Leticia Armstrong have combined to average 8.62 kills/game and hit a combined .455 as each middle blocker has had at least 15 kills in each of the three matches.
· Alyson Jennings has recorded double-figure digs in seven on nine matches this season, including two 20-dig efforts ... as one of the team's primary passers, Jennings has only had six return errors on the year in 34 games.
· So far this season, Texas has used a steady rotation of two freshmen, four sophomores and three juniors, routinely starting a total of five freshmen or sophomores.
· The Longhorns have now been ranked in 18-straight editions of the AVCA poll, dating back to Sept. 20, 2004 when they cracked the poll at No. 22 after opening the season 10-0.
· Texas has won its last nine home matches and 19 of the its last 20 at Gregory Gym ... UT's last loss at home - and only loss at home in 2004 - was a 3-2 loss to No. 4 Nebraska on Oct. 20, 2004 ... it was the Horns' only loss in Austin since the tail end of the 2003 season.
· Texas is 7-0 when hitting .250 or better in a match, and 6-0 when leading in blocks ... UT is also 6-0 when winning game two of a match ... Michelle Moriarty is now ranked ninth on Texas' career assist list with 1,819 assists ... she also has 27 kills on the season, more than she totaled in 2004 (24) ... after recording 12 or more kills in each of the first five matches of the season, Lauren Paolini has not reached double-figure kills in the last four matches, with a low of four at Iowa State (Sept. 17) ... Dariam Acevedo has five double-figure performances this season, compared to seven in all of 2004 ... Brandy Magee has six double-figure kill matches this season, compared to 13 in all of 2004 ... since the first match of the season where she collected only three kills on six attacks for a .167 mark, Magee hasn't had match below .300 ... Leticia Armstrong now leads the Big 12 in hitting with a .448 mark and has four double-figure kill matches so far this season ... Jennifer Todd had nine blocks in the last two matches, one fewer than the previous seven matches combined.
LONGHORNS INCH UP IN POLL
After falling for three straight weeks, Texas inched up one place in the AVCA Coaches Poll ... a 3-2 victory over No. 24 Kansas pushed UT up to No. 22 in the poll ... UT was No. 23 last week.
STRONG ATTENDANCE AT HOME AGAIN
The Longhorns are ranked ninth nationally in home attendance, according to the weekly research done by the University of Wisconsin ... the Horns are averaging 1,881 fans per match ... Hawaii is first with 7,215, followed by Nebraska at 4,786 ... a total of five Big 12 teams (No. 2 NU, No. 8 Texas A&M, No. 21 Missouri and No. 26 Kansas State) are all ranked in the national top 30.
Texas has one of its most balanced offenses in recent years with four players averaging 3.00 or more kills per game ... Brandy Magee leads the way with a 3.65 average, followed by Lauren Paolini (3.27) ... Dariam Acevedo (3.12) and Leticia Armstrong (3.09) also balance out the offense ... in comparison, two players - Mira Topic and Bethany Howden - accounted for almost 10 kills/game last year with no other player averaging more than 2.75 kills/game.