Sept. 22, 2008
MATCH #9: No. 3 TEXAS (6-2, 0-1 Big 12) vs. Iowa State (9-4, 1-1 Big 12)
When: Wednesday, Sept. 24 at 6:30 p.m. Central
Where: Austin, Texas (Gregory Gymnasium)
Television: Texas Student Television (TSTV), Time Warner Cable Ch. 77 in Austin
Internet Audio and Video: TexasSports.tv
Live Stats: Gametracker
All-Time Series Record: Texas leads Iowa State, 23-2 (H: 13-0, A: 10-2, N: 0-0)
Last Meeting: Texas beat Iowa State, 3-2 (30-19, 30-24, 24-30, 32-34, 18-16) on Nov. 21, 2007
Current Streak: Texas has won the last five meetings
• Texas is ranked No. 3 in the current CBS College Sports/AVCA poll (Sept. 22) ... Texas has now appeared in the top 10 of the AVCA poll for 31 consecutive weeks ... the Longhorns' No. 3 ranking in the preseason poll was the highest preseason ranking in UT history, breaking the previous mark of No. 4 set in 1998 and 2007 ... five of Texas' 2008 opponents appear in the current poll, including Big 12 foes Nebraska (No. 2) and Kansas State (No. 17).
• Senior middle blocker Lauren Paolini shined in Texas' 3-1 loss to No. 2 Nebraska on Saturday, Sept. 20, recording 12 kills on 15 swings, committing zero errors and hitting at an .800 clip ... Paolini's attack mark tied her career-best hitting percentage set against Texas State on Nov. 30, 2007 ... the Ann Arbor, Mich., native is now ranked No. 2 all-time at Texas in hitting percentage with a .341 career attack mark.
• In the most recent release of the NCAA Statistics, the Longhorns rank fifth on the national charts in blocking, averaging 2.88 blocks per-set ... Texas ranks No. 6 in team hitting percentage with their .307 team attack mark ... senior All-America middle blocker Lauren Paolini ranks 11th in hitting percentage with a .420 attack mark. ... junior All-America opposite hitter Ashley Engle holds the No. 39 position with 0.48 aces per-set.
• Freshman setter Michelle Kocher has not missed a beat making the transition from high school to college, assuming the Horns' helm vacated by three-time All-American Michelle Moriarty ... Kocher is averaging 9.79 assists per-set and 2.10 digs per-set in her first eight collegiate matches ... the freshman has recorded three assist-dig double doubles to date, accomplishing the feat against Stanford (8/31: 45A, 11D), New Mexico State (9/6: 21A, 10D) and Nebraska (9/20: 42A, 10D).
• The Horns' current 18-match home winning streak is the fifth-best in school history and spans from Sept. 7, 2007 to present ... the Longhorns; regular-season winning streak of 21 matches was snapped against Stanford on Aug. 31, but it stands as the third-longest streak in UT history.
• The Longhorns are currently riding a 21-match regular season home winning streak, dating back to Texas' win over Oklahoma on Oct. 21, 2006 ... in 2007 the Longhorns were a perfect 15-0 in the friendly confines of Gregory Gymnasium ... Texas owned a 45-2 games won mark in its 15 home victories in 2007.
LAST TIME OUT VS. NEBRASKA (Sept. 20, 2008)
Texas fell to No. 2 Nebraska, 3-1, Saturday night in its Big 12 Conference opener ... junior outside hitter Destinee Hooker highlighted the Texas offense with 14 kills in the 25-17, 21-25, 25-23, 25-18 loss ... UT's loss was its first Big 12 Conference loss since it fell to the Huskers on Sept. 12, 2007 in Lincoln (the loss snapped a 19-match Big 12 winning streak) ... senior middle blocker Lauren Paolini's .800 hitting percentage (12 kills on 15 swings with 0 errors) equaled her career-high mark from Nov. 30, 2007 against Texas State sophomore opposite hitter Ashley Engle's 12 kills and 11 digs marked her first kill/dig double-double of the year and the 24th of her career.
LAST TIME VS. IOWA STATE (Nov. 21, 2007)
Texas survived a two-set Iowa State rally and staved off ISU in the fifth set to win the frame 18-16 and knock off the Cyclones, 3-2 at the Hilton Coliseum ... five Longhorns tallied double-digit kill totals in the 30-19, 30-24, 24-30, 32-34, 18-16 victory ... Texas took early control of the match, however, Iowa State stormed back after the break, winning two straight games before the Horns were able to shut the door late in the fifth ... All-America outside hitter Destinee Hooker paced the Longhorns with a team-high 20 kills and added 11 digs and five total blocks ... opposite hitter Ashley Engle posted 18 kills on the night and chipped in 11 digs, six blocks and four assists, while outside hitter Juliann Faucette and junior middle blocker Lauren Paolini registered 16 kills apiece.