Volleyball preview: Kansas
MATCH #9: No. 23 TEXAS (6-2, 1-1 Big 12) vs. No. 24 KANSAS (10-1, 2-0 Big 12)
When: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 at 6:30 p.m.
· The Big 12 will release a 10th Anniversary All-Big 12 team on Nov. 8 which will be voted on by media members and fans ... fans will be able to vote at Big12Sports.com from Oct. 1 through Nov. 1.
· The Longhorns' loss on Saturday at Iowa State snapped UT's season-best five-match winning streak.
· Texas has won its last eight home matches and 18 of the its last 19 at Gregory Gym ... UT's last loss at home - and only loss at home in 2004 - was a 3-2 loss to No. 4 Nebraska on Oct. 20, 2004 ... it was the Horns' only loss in Austin since the tail end of the 2003 season.
· After playing sparingly in 2004, Leticia Armstrong has come on to be a force for the Horns ... she is second on the team in hitting percentage (.424) and is ranked in the conference in both hitting percentage (second) and blocking (seventh, 1.31/game).
· The UT starting middle blockers - Brandy Magee and Leticia Armstrong - have led the team in the last two matches ... the duo has combined for 10.25 kills/game and a combined .467 attack percentage in the Horns' two previous outings ... Armstrong has back-to-back 20+ kill matches, while Magee has recorded at least 18 kills in each of her last two efforts.
· While the middle blockers have been hot, the outside hitters have cooled off ... the players who have rotated through the outside combined for a total of 40 kills, 35 errors and a .034 attack percentage in the last two matches.
· Since taking the helm of the Texas volleyball team, Jerritt Elliott has a 4-4 record against Ray Bechard's Kansas Jayhawks ... the two teams won their respective home matches in 2001 and 2002, before KU won the next three matches, between 2002 and 2003, including back-to-back five-game matches in `03 ... Texas swept the 2004 series.
· Last year when Kansas and Texas met for the first time in the season, both teams were also ranked ... Kansas was No. 21 while Texas had just cracked the Top 25 at No. 22 that week ... the 3-0 victory on Sept. 25 in Lawrence was UT's first over against a ranked team in 2004.
· Texas has led the match in kills in each of its eight matches this season ... UT has hit above .325 in five of the last six of those - all wins - including four matches of .368 or better.
· So far this season, Texas has used a steady rotation of two freshmen, four sophomores and three juniors, routinely starting a total of five freshmen or sophomores.