MATCH #7: No. 18 TEXAS (5-1, 0-0 Big 12) vs. COLORADO (4-1, 0-0 Big 12)
When: Wednesday, Sept. 14 at 6:30 p.m. Central
Where: Austin, Texas (Gregory Gym, capacity 4,400)
All-Time Series Record: Texas leads the all-time series, 14-8 (7-4 home, 6-4 away, 1-0 neutral)
Series Streak: UT has won the last two meetings, sweeping the 2004 series
Last Meeting: Texas won, 3-1 (30-19, 29-31, 30-17, 30-19), in Boulder on Nov. 3, 2004
Last Colorado victory: CU won, 3-0 (32-30, 30-24, 32-30), in Austin on Nov. 19, 2003
Head Coach Jerritt Elliott vs. Colorado: 4-4 (all at Texas)
Game Day Promotions: The 2005 edition of the "Horns' House" t-shirt will be given away free to the first 300 UT students that enter the gates ... City of Austin Recreation Centers Night - $2.00 general admission for all City of Austin Recreation Centers employees and attendants with mention of this promotion.
· Wednesday's match marks the beginning of Big 12 Conference play for both schools ... Texas has an all-time record of 122-58 (.678) in Big 12 play, spanning the previous nine seasons of play ... Texas won its first Big 12 title in 1997 and has a total of three second-place finishes (1996, 1998 and 2004).
· The Big 12 Conference coaches selected Texas to finish third in the 11-team conference, according to the 2005 Preseason Coaches Poll ... defending champion and national preseason No. 1 Nebraska finished first, followed by Missouri in second ... Texas A&M and Kansas rounded out the top five.
· The Big 12 Conference is celebrating its 10th anniversary this season ... the league will release a 10th Anniversary All-Big 12 team in November, which will be voted on by media members and coaches.
· Texas also opens its 10-match home schedule on Wednesday ... the start date is the latest UT has opened its home slate since the 1989 season when the Horns welcomed UT-Arlington to Austin on Sept. 21.
· So far this season, Texas has used a steady rotation of two freshmen, four sophomores and three juniors, routinely starting a total of five freshmen or sophomores.
· Texas enters the start of Big 12 play with an all-time program record of 867-325-14 (.724).
· The Longhorns won the Ole Miss Magnolia Invitational last weekend, going 4-0 with victories over Lipscomb, Ole Miss, N.C. State and Lamar ... UT dropped only one game all weekend on its way to the title.
· For the second weekend in a row, Lauren Paolini was named to an all-tournament team when she copped Most Valuable Player honors at the Ole Miss Magnolia Invitational ... she was also a member of the Shamrock Invitational all-tournament team ... Paolini averaged 4.31 kills/game, 1.08 aces/game, 2.46 digs/game and hit .336 in the four game sweep while also leading the team in kills in each match.
· Michelle Moriarty and Alyson Jennings were also selected to the Ole Miss Magnolia Invitational all-tournament team for their play at the event.
· Lauren Paolini has led Texas in kills in each of the Horns' six matches this season ... she is ranked seventh in the Big 12 Conference in kills (4.14/game), second in aces (0.71/game) and is fourth in points (5.21/game).
· After playing sparingly in 2004, Leticia Armstrong has come on to be a force for the Horns ... she is third on the team in hitting percentage (.378) and is ranked in the conference in both hitting percentage (sixth) and blocking (seventh, 1.38/game).
· The Longhorns improved their team hitting with four matches last week, jumping from a .223 mark last week to a .307 mark this week, good for second place in the Big 12 Conference.
· Brandy Magee leads the Big 12 Conference in hitting percentage with a .471 mark, and Leticia Armstrong is sixth in the category with a .378 average.
· The 5-9 Kiley Hall an unblemished premiere as an outside hitter, connecting for six kills on nine attempts with no errors in two games at the position against Lamar (Sept. 10) ... she is the Horns' usual defensive specialist.