Volleyball preview: Ole Miss Magnolia Tournament
Matches #3, #4, #5 and #6
MATCH #3: No. 17 TEXAS (1-1, 0-0 Big 12) vs. LIPSCOMB (0-4, 0-0 Atlantic Sun)
MATCH #4: No. 17 TEXAS vs. OLE MISS (3-1, 0-0 SEC)
MATCH #5: No. 17 TEXAS vs. NORTH CAROLINA STATE (3-1, 0-0 ACC)
MATCH #6: No. 17 TEXAS vs. LAMAR (1-6, 0-0 Southland)
· Dariam Acevedo and Lauren Paolini were both named to the Shamrock Invitational All-Tournament team last weekend ... in two matches, Acevedo averaged 3.38 kills/game and 3.75 digs/game while playing every point, and Paolini led the team in kills both matches (12 against Arizona State, 19 against Notre Dame) while also chipping in 2.25 digs/game and 0.88 blocks/game.
· Last weekend at the Shamrock Invitational, Texas used a steady rotation of two freshmen, four sophomores and three juniors, starting a total of five freshmen or sophomores.
· The Big 12 Conference coaches selected Texas to finish third in the 11-team conference, according to the 2005 Preseason Coaches Poll ... defending champion and national preseason No. 1 Nebraska finished first, followed by Missouri in second ... Texas A&M and Kansas rounded out the top five.
· Texas enters the Ole Miss Magnolia Tournament with an all-time program record of 863-325-14 (.724).
· This year, UT returns four starters and the team's libero from its 2004 squad - outside hitter Dariam Acevedo, outside hitter Jen Christian, middle blocker Brandy Magee, setter Michelle Moriarty and Alyson Jennings in the backrow as the libero ... the staff also welcomes back setter Jenny Andrew and middle blocker Leticia Armstrong, both letterwinners in 2004.
· Texas welcomes five newcomers to the program, including three freshmen: outside hitter/middle blocker Lauren Paolini, outside hitter/middle blocker RuthAnn Feist and defensive specialist/outside hitter Kiley Hall ... UT also welcomes a pair of incoming upperclassmen: junior transfer at middle blocker, Jennifer Todd, and senior opposite hitter, Heather Schreiber, who just completed a four-year career on the UT women's basketball team.
· Texas had 25 blocks in two matches last weekend (3.12 blocks per game), a sharp improvement from its 1.83 blocks/game average through two matches in 2004.
· Texas welcomed its newest Longhorn to the family on July 26, when head coach Jerritt Elliott and his wife Sarah (Silvernail, a former All-American at Washington State) saw their second child, Parker, born.