Volleyball preview: Burnt Orange Classic
Aug. 24, 2010
Matches 1-3: No. 2/3 TEXAS (0-0, 0-0 Big 12) at the Burnt Orange Classic
• Texas holds the No. 2 spot in the preseason Volleyball Magazine Poll ... Big 12 foes in the poll include, No. 4 Nebraska and No. 8 Iowa State ... four of Texas' non-conference opponents are ranked (No. 1 Penn State, No. 5 Stanford, No. 7 Illinois and, No.14 Florida).
• The Horns are picked to finish second in the Big 12 in 2010 by a vote of the league's head coaches ... Texas' 91 points finished behind top choice Nebraska's 98 and just ahead of Iowa State's 84 ... senior outside hitter Juliann Faucette was chosen as the Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year.
• In 2009, Texas clinched their third-straight Big 12 Championship and their first outright title since 1997 (co-champs in 2007 & 2008) ... the championship was Texas' fourth Big 12 Conference Championship ... the Horns also made their first trip to the NCAA Championship match since 1995, playing a five-set thriller with Penn State.
• The Longhorns own a 30-6 all-time record in season openers and a 7-2 mark under head coach Jerritt Elliott.
• Texas enters the season riding a 22-match home winning streak at Gregory Gym dating back to Nov. 1, 2008 ... in 2009 Texas dropped just one set at home, posting a 36-1 sets won record on its home floor.
• Texas enters the 2010 campaign with 995 all-time in its 36 years of volleyball ... the Horns need just five victories to reach the 1,000 win plateau and become one of eight programs to reach that feat (UCLA, Nebraska, Missouri State, BYU, Long Beach State, Penn State and Hawaii)