HOUSTON -- Despite the inclement weather, the Texas women's track and field team registered three qualifiers including senior national champion and All-American Michelle Carter (Ovilla, Texas), and sophomores reigning high jump national champion Destinee Hooker (San Antonio, Texas) and 400-meter hurdler Angel Williams (Clarendon, Texas).
Carter posted her third NCAA regional qualifying mark of the 2007 season in the discus, and improved her season best by one centimeter, throwing 161-10 (49.32m) in capturing the discus championship.
Williams bettered the quarter-hurdle NCAA Regional mark of 1:00.82, with a second-place mark of 1:00.06. Williams met the standard of 1:00.82 for the first time this season. Sophomore Brittany Orville (Houston, Texas) almost added a second qualifier in the event, posting a lifetime best mark of 1:00.99.
Hooker cleared an NCAA Regional height for the second time this year. The reigning NCAA Outdoor National Champion finished in second-place with a mark of 5-10.75 (1.80m).
In the 100-meter hurdles, sophomore Kira Robinson (Denver, Colo.) cleared the short course in 14.25 seconds for second place.
Junior pole vaulter Ashley Laughlin (Marble Falls, Texas) finished in third-place with a vault of 11-11.75 (3.65m).
Carter and freshman Jordyn Brown (Mesquite, Texas) were scheduled to compete in the shot put but it was cancelled due to the unsafe throwing conditions.
Victor Lopez Bayou Classic
Day Two Results
800-meter (NCAA Reg.: 2:09.80)
18. Ashley Thompson (Texas), 2:21.45
19. Mariya Townswick (Texas), 2:23.58
22. Kelly Heinbaugh (Texas), 2:24.17
26. Lauren Kern (Texas), 2:27.42
100-meter hurdles (NCAA Reg.: 13.92)
2. Kira Robinson (Texas), 14.25
400-meter hurdles (NCAA Reg.: 1:00.82)
2. Angel Williams (Texas), 1:00.06 #
3. Britney Orville (Texas), 1:00.99
9. Kelly Heinbaugh (Texas), 1:08.42
High Jump (NCAA Reg.: 1.75m)
2. Destinee Hooker (Texas), 1.80m 5-10.75 #
Discus (NCAA Reg.: 47.30m)
1. Michelle Carter (Texas), 161-10 (49.32m) #
14. Jordyn Brown (Texas), 117-2 (35.72m)
Shot put (NCAA Reg.: 14.30m)
Pole Vault (NCAA Reg.: 3.80m)
3. Ashley Laughlin (Texas), 11-11.75 (3.65m)
#-NCAA Regional qualifying mark