No. 26 Women's Tennis defeats Kansas State, 5-2
March 25, 2011
WAMEGO, Kan. - No. 26 Texas (9-4, 4-0 Big 12) took two of three matches and four of six singles matches to secure a 5-2 victory over Kansas State Friday afternoon at the Wamego Recreation Complex.
UT's Amanda Craddock and Cierra Gaytan-Leach opened with an 8-4 win over Petra Niedermayerova and Nina Sertic at first doubles before the Wildcats responded with a win at third doubles. Texas, however, went on to win the doubles point at the second slot, where Krista Damico and Aeriel Ellis posted an 8-6 win over Antea Huljev and Karla Bonacic.
Texas extended its lead to 2-0 at sixth singles, where senior Caroline Larsson dealt Carmen Borau Ramos a 6-2, 6-3 defeat. The lead extended to 3-0 after senior Maggie Mello finished off a 6-3, 7-6 (3) victory over Bonacic at third singles. The Longhorns clinched the match at fourth singles, where Craddock posted a 7-6 (2), 7-5 win over Ana Gomez Aleman.
Kansas State claimed two of the three remaining matches, and the Horns' Juliana Gajic added a 6-4, 7-5 win over Sertic at fifth singles.
Texas concludes its weekend road swing on Saturday when it takes on Kansas at noon in Lawrence, Kan.
#26 Texas 5, #39 Kansas State 2
Wamego Recreation Complex - Wamego, Kan.
Singles - Order of Finish: 6, 3, 4*, 1, 5, 2
1. Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. (15) Aeriel Ellis (UT), 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
2. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Krista Damico (UT), 5-7, 7-6 (1), 1-0 (10-4)
3. Maggie Mello (UT) def. Karla Bonacic (KSU), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
4. Amanda Craddock (UT) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), 7-6 (2), 7-5
5. Juliana Gajic (UT) def. Nina Sertic (KSU), 6-4, 7-5
6. Caroline Larsson (UT) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU), 6-2, 6-3