Feb. 22, 2013
Box Score |
AUSTIN, Texas -- Junior Brejae Washington supplied the firepower for Texas' offense, driving in four runs and recording three hits as the No. 6/6 Longhorns downed Lamar 5-0 Friday afternoon at Red & Charline McCombs Field. In the circle, senior Blaire Luna allowed just one hit and matched her season high with 14 strikeouts in tossing her third-straight complete game shutout.
The contest was scoreless until Texas took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third. Senior Taylor Hoagland led off with a walk and stole second, setting up Washington for her first RBI of the game as she singled up the middle to plate Hoagland. The run was the 167th scored of Hoagland's career, establishing the Texas all-time record.
In the bottom of the fourth, Texas added four runs for the 5-0 final. Junior Taylor Thom led off with a single and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt from senior Torie Schmidt. After a foul out, junior Mandy Ogle singled to plate Thom. Freshman Erin Shireman followed with a single and Hoagland drew her second walk of the contest to load the bases for Washington. She delivered a bases-clearing triple to left center, giving her nine RBI in her past eight games.
Luna (6-0) held the Lady Cardinals to just one hit, a one-out single by Julianna Viator in the top of the sixth inning. Luna also issued two walks and struck out two or more batters in five frames. Tina Schulz (1-1) took the loss for Lamar, tossing six innings and allowing nine hits and five runs while walking a pair.
The Longhorns return to action Friday at approximately 6:45 p.m. against Tulsa.
- UT is 13-0 to begin the season. It's the second-longest winning streak to start the year in program history. The 2003 squad owns the mark with 16 consecutive wins.
- With the final 5-0 score, Texas has outscored the opposition 68-2 in the last eight games.
- Specifically, in the last 26 innings, UT has outscored the competition 46-0.
- Texas has not allowed a run in the last 27-and-a-third innings. The last runs allowed were a two-run home run by Illinois' Jess Perkins on Saturday, Feb. 16.
- The Longhorns led 1-0 after the first three innings. This season, UT owns a 54-2 advantage during the opening three frames.
- With the shutout, the Longhorns' pitching staff has allowed just seven runs through 13 games. The total is tied for the second-fewest surrendered through 13 games in program history. The 2003 club holds the mark with six runs allowed.
- Lamar's Jenna Holland led off the top of the third with a walk. It was the first surrendered by a Texas pitcher in 16-and-two-thirds innings.
- Senior Taylor Hoagland's run scored in the third inning gave her 167 in her career, setting the Texas record and passing Lexy Bennett (2009-12/166) for the all-time UT mark. Hoagland scored twice in the contest and has 168 in her career.
- Junior Brejae Washington's stolen base in the bottom of the first inning gave her four swipes in the last three games.
- With three hits, Washington has reached base in all 13 games this season. - In the last eight games, Washington is hitting .521 (12-for-23) with eight runs scored and 10 driven in.
- Washington has 12 RBI already this season after totaling 16 during the entire 2012 campaign.
- Senior Blaire Luna struck out 11 in the contest, giving her 52 career games fanning 10 or more.
- Luna also tossed her 39th career complete game shutout.