Soccer preview: Arizona State and Arizona
MATCH #3: No. 3 Texas Longhorns (2-0-0) vs. Arizona State Sun Devils (1-1-0)
· The meeting with Arizona State is the first between UT and the Sun Devils. It is also the first time Petrucelli will face ASU. The Sun Devils enter the match 1-1-0 after blanking Idaho State, 1-0, on Friday (Aug. 31) in their season opener, and then losing 2-1 to UNLV on Sunday (Sept. 2).
· Sunday's match marks the third time Arizona and Texas will meet on the pitch but the first time in 10 years. Each team has a win apiece in the all-time series. UT won the first meeting 4-0 on Oct. 30, 1994 in Austin. Three years later, the Wildcats won the second contest, 3-2, in Tucson on Sept. 19, 1997. The two teams have not faced each other since Petrucelli took the reigns of the Longhorns' program. UA enters the match with a 1-1-0 record after losing to Utah, 2-1, on Friday, Aug. 31, and defeating Cal Poly 4-3 on Sunday, Sept. 2.
· UT scored one goal before a 102-minute rain delay and two more after returning to the field in a 3-1 win over TCU on Friday (Aug. 31) at Mike A. Myers Stadium. NSCAA All-American and Texas senior forward Kelsey Carpenter (Allen, Texas) scored two goals in UT's regular-season home opener. Fellow All-American and Texas junior defender Kasey Moore (Mission Viejo, Calif.) extended the lead with her first goal of the 2007 season. Two freshmen -- Alisha Ortiz (Highland Village, Texas) and Kirsten Birkhold (Scottsdale, Ariz.) -- recorded their first career points in the victory. Four Longhorn rookies made their first career starts in the game. The match was stopped in the first period for an hour, 42 minutes for a lightning delay.
· After entering halftime down 1-0 to No. 2 UCLA, the Longhorns rallied back, scoring two second-half goals en route to a 2-1 victory and the biggest upset in Texas history. The Longhorns win over the second-ranked Bruins marked the first time UT defeated a team in the top two. The previous best was a 2-1 decision over No. 3 Penn State on Sept. 1, 2006. Moore scored the equalizing goal in the second half while freshman Brooke Lee (Mesquite, Texas) netted the golden goal to secure the win.
· Moore was cited as Big 12 Defensive Performer of the Week and Lee was tabbed Newcomer of the Week for the week ending Sunday, Sept. 2. Moore netted two goals (one apiece against TCU and UCLA) and helped the Texas defense hold its opponents to one goal per game. Lee headed the ball in for the game-winning score in the upset over the Bruins.
· As of Sept. 4, the Longhorns are ranked in the top 5 in four national coaches polls. Texas is rated third in this week's SoccerTimes.com Poll. UT moved from a tie for No. 9 with Stanford to sole possession of fourth-place and receiving one first place vote in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA)/adidas Coaches Poll. The Longhorns are ranked No. 5 in both the Soccer America magazine poll and the SoccerBuzz Coaches Poll.
· UT was picked to finish second in the 2007 Big 12 Conference Preseason Coaches Poll and boasted four preseason All-Conference selections in senior midfielder Caitlin Kennedy (Euless, Texas), Carpenter, Moore and junior defender and U.S. National Team participant Stephanie Logterman (Austin, Texas).