Rowing preview: Head of the Oklahoma
When: Saturday, Oct. 13, All Day
· Oklahoma City University's Head of the Oklahoma features a challenging 2.5 mile head race course. Beginning near the west edge of the basin, the head race course traverses through several bridges and turns before straightening midway through the course at Regatta Park for a straight 2,000 meter path to the finish line. The head racing will feature events for collegiate, master and junior crews involving single, double, pair, four, quad and eight style racing shells.
· The Longhorns return several rowers who rowed in Texas' top eight boat in 2006. Junior port Luise Fleischhauer earned CRCA All-South Region accolades as a sophomore and returns this season after anchoring the stroke seat last season. Sophomore starboard Nancy Arrington returns after an impressive freshman campaign in which she rowed every single race in the top boat. Senior port Alex Janss has one year of varsity first eight rowing under her belt and she will strengthen the UT lineup after rowing in the top boat in seven-of-nine races last season. Sophomore starboard Callie Mattrisch has shined for the Longhorns so far this fall after coaching at the Milwaukee rowing club this past summer.
· Texas welcomes a talented class of freshman rowers to this year's squad, including port Jennifer Vander Maarel, port Jelena Zunic and starboard Tajana Lovric. Vander Maarel comes from a tight-knit rowing environment at St. Catharine's Rowing Club in Ontario, Canada. Lovric and Zunic both come to Texas from strong rowing families in Zagreb, Croatia.
· In 2006, Texas participated in the Head of the Oklahoma on Sept. 30, where the Horns' first eight boat recorded a fifth-place finish in the collegiate eight, and UT's third eight boat finished second and the second eight boat posted a 12th place finish.
· At the 2006 Head of the Oklahoma, UT placed three teams in the top five of the women's collegiate pair. The tandem of Luise Fleischhauer and Lucy Mulvey placed third with a time of 17:23.398, while the team of Hilary Corbett and Emilie Sallee (17:30.909) placed fourth and Carly Gloge and Alex Janss (17:36.653) finished fifth.
TEXAS' LINEUPS FOR THE HEAD OF THE OKLAHOMA