Rowing preview: Kansas
When: Saturday, March 24 (Races will begin at 9 a.m. and will end following the conclusion of the First Varsity Eight race.)
Where: Lawrence, Kan. (Kansas River)
· Head coach Carie Graves and the Texas Rowing make their first road trip of the spring season, Saturday, March 24 when they travel to Lawrence, Kansas to take on the SMU and Kansas. The Longhorns will race in varsity eight, varsity four and novice eight races during the event.
· The Longhorns' races against SMU and Kansas will be run on a 2,000 meter course on the Kansas River. The regatta marks Texas' first trip to Kansas since March 26, 2005, when the Horns participated in the same event.
· Last weekend (March16-18) the Longhorns concluded the three-day duel-style Longhorn Invitational with an impressive 18 wins in 24 races. On day one, UT took five of six races downing Kansas State once and knocking off Miami, four times, including a 52 second victory in the first novice eight race. On day two, Texas tallied 12 victories in their 13 races, including a perfect 7-0 record in the afternoon session. In the afternoon the Longhorns swept Iowa, 6-0 and then added a novice victory over Kansas State. On the final day of the race, the Longhorns struggled against a very good Central Florida crew. The Golden Knights won all four of its races against Texas (1N8, 1V4, 2V8, 1V8), but UT wrapped up the regatta with a second varsity four victory over Iowa.
· The Horns commenced their spring season, Feb.10 at the Fighting Nutria on Town Lake, with the first varsity eight boat finishing second among women's crews and the first novice eight boat finishing in third place. Coxswain Mary Cait McPherson led the first varsity eight boat of Luise Fleischhauer, Emily Tingey, Kelli Garrett, Lucy Mulvey, Nancy Arrington, Lianna Burton, Alex Janss and Carly Gloge to a second place women's finish with a time of 0:29:48. UT's first novice eight boat of coxswain Desi Council, Sara Cottingham, Katie Perlberg, Simone Hesson, Marissa Canada, Lindsey Wetesnik, Cara Parker, Rachel Lee and Haley Schmidt crossed the finish line in third place, finishing in 0:30:45.
· The Texas Rowing team concluded its fall calendar Saturday, Nov. 12 at the Rivanna Romp, with the first varsity eight boat placing 11th and the second boat crossing the finish line in 24th place. Coxswain Mary Cait McPherson led the first eight boat of Luise Fleischhauer, Emily Tingey, Kelli Garrett, Lucy Mulvey, Nancy Arrington, Carly Gloge, Lindsay Foster and Dorothy Baden-Mayer to an 11th place finish, completing the race in 13:58.35. The second varsity eight boat of coxswain Arti Waghray, Latane Montague, Kindel Keen, Alex Janss, Caley Hullihen, Danielle Bartz, Emilie Dayley, Hilary Corbett and Lianna Burton clocked in at 14:30.54, a mark good for 24th place.
· At the Head of the Hooch (Nov. 4), Texas' third varsity eight boat of coxswain Katy Kemp, Talour Venable, Abby Hahn, Whitney McMahon, Callie Mattrisch, Ann Hochschild, Caley Hullihen, Megan O'Hargen and Megan Lenard competed in the women's club eight race and placed 21st (unofficially) in a competitive field.