Rowing preview: Longhorn Invitational
Texas at the Longhorn Invitational
· The Texas varsity and novice rowing teams will compete along with Central Florida, Duke, Iowa, Kansas State and Wisconsin.
· The Longhorn Invitational is a 2,000 meter dual-style race held annually on Lady Bird Lake. Texas and the five other crews will compete in head-to-head races in each race of the weekend.
· At the 2007 Longhorn Invitational, Texas concluded the three-day duel-style regatta with an impressive 18 wins in 24 races. On Saturday, March 17, 2007, UT totaled 12 victories in its 13 races. The Longhorns' strong showing included a perfect 7-0 sweep in the afternoon session.
· Texas' shined at its last race, the 2008 Heart of Texas (3/8) held on Lady Bird Lake, taking first place in each of its races. The Longhorns entered two evenly balanced varsity eight-boats and claimed first and second place in the women's open eight. The boat comprised of coxswain Annie Heiner, stroke Alex Janss, Emilie Sallee, Jen Vander Maarel, Angela Kirchner, Danielle Bartz, Lindsay Foster, Laura Perkins and Sara Cottingham posted a time of 3:18.6 to place first in the open eight.
· Texas other varsity eight-boat of coxswain Mary Cait McPherson, stroke Rachel Lee, Callie Mattrisch, Meg George, Nancy Arrington, Jelena Zunic, Lianna Burton, Colleen Irby and Kellie Lunday finished second and registered a time of 3:19.9 at the Heart of Texas. The Horns posted the top three times in the women's open pair with the team of Janss and Sallee posting a time of 3:59.0 and finishing first. The tandem of George and Lunday finished second in 4:04.3, while Vander Maarel and Arrington crossed the finish in 4:06.4 and placed third.
· At the 2008 Fighting Nutria (2/16), Texas' first varsity eight placed first among women's crews, while the second varsity boat finished second and the first novice boat claimed third. The Longhorns first varsity eight boat comprised of coxswain Mary Cait McPherson, stroke Luise Fleischhauer, Callie Mattrisch, Jen Vander Maarel, Kellie Lunday, Jelena Zunic, Emilie Sallee, Alex Janss and Nancy Arrington posted a time of 28:09.00.
· The Texas' second varsity eight-boat completed the Fighting Nutria second among women's crews, finishing in 29:07.0, while the Horns' first novice eight-boat placed third, finishing in 30:00.0. The Horns' second novice boat finished sixth (31:41.0) and the third novice eight finished seventh (31:55.0), while the fourth novice eight finished eighth (32:45.0).
· Texas Rowing closed out its fall rowing season at the Rivanna Romp on Nov. 11, as its first varsity eight-boat finished fifth at the race held on the Rivanna Reservoir in Charlottesville, Va. Texas' second and third boats took 11th and 15th place respectively in the 16-team field. The Longhorns first varsity eight boat of coxswain Mary Cait McPherson, Luise Fleischhauer, Emilie Sallee, Jennifer VanderMaarel, Callie Mattrisch, Alex Janss, Kellie Lunday, Rachel Lee and Nancy Arrington crossed the finish in 14:08.92 to claim fifth place.