Rowing preview: Heart of Texas
March 4, 2010
LONGHORN & RACE NOTABLES
• The Heart of Texas is a 1,000 meter sprint race held annually in March, making it one of the first sprint races of the Spring. All types of events are offered, including -1x, 4x, 2- and 8+. Junior, Collegiate, Open, Masters, Novice and Recreational categories are offered. The Austin Rowing Club first held the Heart of Texas Regatta in 1983 and the event has grown to include Masters and Junior events and a seven-lane, fully-buoyed course and state-of-the-art starting platform. Almost 700 boats competed at the 2010 Regatta.
• At the 2009 Heart of Texas regatta (March 7, 2009), UT earned five first-place finishes. The Longhorns claimed victories in the open-8, novice-8, open-2, open-4 and novice-4. The Longhorns varsity eight crew of coxswain Mary Cait McPherson, Jacqueline Gorcyca, Nancy Arrington, Meg George, Anna Thomson, Jelena Zunic, Allison Weiland, Colleen Irby and Felicia Izaguirre-Werner posted a time of 3:19.15 in its victory. Texas’ other varsity eight placed second, crossing the finish in 3:19.49.
• Last time out, Texas started its 2010 racing season with a bang, claiming the top three places at the Fighting Nutria (Feb. 14). The Longhorns first varsity boat of coxswain Emma Dirks, stroke Jennifer VanderMaarel, Anna Thomson, Meg George, Callie Mattrisch, Jelena Zunic, Tajana Lovric, Jacqueline Gorcyca and Nancy Arrington posted a time of 29:07 and finished first. Texas second varsity eight comprised of coxswain Mary Cait McPherson, stroke Stephanie Matejka, Karli Sheahan, Colleen Irby, Laurel McCaig, Katarina Susac, Julia Stevens, Sally Tunell and Courtney Nicklas crossed the finish in 29:36 and placed second.
• Texas wrapped up its fall racing season by posting four top-five finishes on its first day at the Head of the Hooch regatta (Nov. 7, 2009). The Longhorns placed third in the championship 4+ and fourth in the championship 8+. The Horns’ crew of coxswain Mary Cait McPherson, stroke Jennifer VanderMaarel, Felicia Izaguirre-Werner, Meg George, Anna Thomson, Jelena Zunic, Karli Sheahan, Sally Tunell and Nancy Arrington finished fourth with a time of 14:31.2
• At the Head of the Hooch, UT’s pair of junior Jennifer VanderMaarel and sophomore Felicia Izaguirre-Werner won the open 2- on the second day of the Head of the Hooch.
• The Horns kicked off their home racing season on Oct. 31, 2009 at the Head of the Colorado on Lady Bird Lake. Texas Rowing team posted three victories, including wins in the open eight, first novice eight and second novice eight races. The crew of coxswain Mary Cait McPherson, stroke Jennifer VanderMaarel, Felicia Izaguirre-Werner, Meg George, Anna Thomson, Jelena Zunic, Karli Sheahan, Colleen Irby and Nancy Arrington won the open eight, posting a time of 15:39.2.
• In 2009, the Longhorns claimed the inaugural Big 12 Rowing Championship after winning seven straight Big 12 Invitational titles. Texas won the conference’s first title, totaling 51 points, while Kansas State finished second with 48 points and Kansas placed third with 45 points. Oklahoma did not compete for the crown, only participating in the novice and varsity four races. Texas’ varsity and novice squads combined for two victories, winning the second novice eight and second varsity eight races.