AUSTIN, Texas -- Raelyn Smith (Odessa, Texas/Permian HS) and Brittany Tomerlin (San Angelo, Texas/San Angelo Central HS) have signed 2006-07 National Letters of Intent to play golf next season at The University of Texas, women's golf head coach Susan Watkins announced.
"We have been fortunate to watch Raelyn's progress as a student in our summer camps and I noticed quickly that she had a maturity that is hard to come by at a young age," said Watkins. "Brittany and Raeyln are very good friends and have encouraged and pushed each other in competition. Brittany is as determined as Raelyn. She just brings a little different game to the table. They will be a great additions to an already very special team."
Smith was the medalist at the Randy Smith Classic Qualifier and second at Lawrence Hall Abilene Junior tournament. Named her high school team MVP for three years in a row, she earned All-State honors as sophomore and was All-Region as a sophomore and junior.
As a junior in high school, Tomerlin placed in the top three of three AJGA events, including two runner-up finishes at The Rawls Course and Fairway Oaks. She was named All-State, All-Region and All-District at the end of both her sophomore and junior seasons.
The Longhorns return to the links March 6-8, 2006, when they head to Guadalajara, Mexico for the Cal-Guadalajara Invitational.
Women's Golf 2005 signees:
Odessa, Texas (Permian)
· 2005 medalist at the Randy Smith Classic Qualifier (36-35-71)
· placed second at Lawrence Hall Abilene Junior tournament in 2005
· tied for 11th at the 2005 Stars of Texas Junior at the UT golf club (87-77-74)
· took sixth at the 2005 Texas Oklahoma Junior (77-72-77-75)
· MVP of golf team for three years
· All-District and All-Region for three years as well as All-State her sophomore year
· district Medalist for three years
· 4.0 GPA and 11th in class of 614
· involved in Fellowship of Christian Athletes, National Honor Society, and Who's Who Among America's Top Students
· placed first at the Permian Invitational (70-74)
Daughter of Gary and Dayna Smith...full name is Raelyn La'Dawn Smith...has rwo sisters, Jayda Palmour (21) and Skylar (14)...grandfather Zurel King played football at Oklahoma and grandfather Billy Smith attended UT...born October 26, 1978 in Odessa, Texas.
San Angelo, Texas (San Angelo Central)
· finished second at 2005 AJGA-The Rawls Course in Lubbock (78-71-74)
· received second place honors at 2004 AJGA-Fairway Oaks (75-77-78)
· placed third at the 2003 AJGA-Abilene CC in Abilene (72-76-72)
· achieved three first place finishes and five second place finishes in high school golf tournaments
· placed first twice in state tournaments and received one second place finish
· awarded All-District, All-State, and All-Region honors for golf her sophomore and junior years
· member of national Honor Society and Who's Who Among American Top Students
Daughter of Cary and Debbie Tomerlin... full name is Brittany Shae Tomerlin...has one sister Erika (24)...born on June 8, 1988 in San Angelo, Texas.