FRANKLIN, Tenn. -- The 10th-ranked University of Texas Women's Golf team placed sixth at the Mason Rudolph Women's Championship (Vanderbilt Legends Club: Par 72, 6,254 Yards) on Sunday, Oct. 3, finishing at 28-over-par (291-298-303=892) after shooting a final round 303 (+15). The Longhorns ended up 19 shots behind second-ranked Duke, who won the tournament at nine-over-par (301-283-289=873. Senior Perry Swenson (Charlotte, N.C.) was the top Longhorn finisher tying for eighth at one-over-par (70-74-73=217). She ended the tournament just five shots behind medalist Jackie Beers of Georgia, who carded a four-under-par 212 (75-69-68=212).
"We struggled a little bit today, but overall, I'm very excited about how this team is coming together so early in the season," said Texas head coach Susan Watkins. "I've got a feeling that we are going to win some tournaments this year."
Freshman Kelley Louth (Victoria, Texas) tied for 33rd at nine-over-par (73-76-76=225), matching the exact score she posted at the NCAA Fall Preview a week ago. Senior Lisa Ferrero continued her steady play by finishing tied for 38th at 10-over-par (74-76-76=226). Sophomore Julia Best (Bulverde, Texas) shot her second-straight 78 on Sunday, which left her in a tie for 59th at 14-over-par (74-78-78=230). Junior Devan Andersen also carded a final-round 78 to end up in a tie for 64th at 15-over-par (81-72-78=231).
Freshman Jordan Craig (Connellsville, Pa.), playing as an individual, carded a final-round 79 to finish her first collegiate tournament in 80th place at 21-over-par (81-77-79=327).
Duke entered the final round in third place at eight-over-par and their one-over-par 289 put them in good position at nine-over-par. Top-ranked UCLA entered Sunday with a four-shot lead over No. 3 Georgia at one-over-par, but a nine-over-par 297 on Sunday dropped them back into second place, just one shot behind the Blue Devils, at 10-over-par. Georgia finished in third at 12-over-par.
On the individual leaderboard, Georgia's Jackie Beers swapped places with the second-round leader Alison Walshe of Tulane in the final round. Beers started the day four-shots behind Walshe at even-par, but a four-under-par 68, combined with a four-over-par 76 by Walshe, left Beers with the medalist honors at four-under-par for the tournament. UCLA's Susie Mathews shot an even-par 72 on Sunday to finish second at one-under-par followed by a group of five golfers at even par. Texas' Perry Swenson finished tied for eighth with Vanderbilt's Chris Brady at one-over-par.
The Longhorns will be in competition again next weekend, Friday through Sunday, Oct. 8-10, at the Franklin Street Partners Invitational hosted by the University of North Carolina at the Finley Golf Course (Par 72, 6,285 Yards) in Chapel Hill, N.C.
Final Team Results
1. Duke, 301-283-289=873 (+9)
2. UCLA, 289-288-297=874 (+10)
3. Georgia, 292-289-295=876 (+12)
4. Missouri, 300-291-291=882 (+18)
5. N.C. State, 299-304-288=891 (+27)
6. TEXAS, 291-298-303=892 (+28)
7. LSU, 296-300-297=893 (+29)
8. Tulane, 301-295-301=897 (+33)
8. Florida, 304-298-295=897 (+33)
10. Wake Forest, 303-293-304=900 (+36)
10. Vanderbilt, 303-301-296=900 (+36)
12. Furman, 298-300-304=902 (+38)
12. Arizona, 295-305-302=902 (+38)
14. Virginia, 299-298-308=905 (+41)
15. Oklahoma, 305-299-305=909 (+45)
16. SMU, 305-301-304=910 (+46)
17. South Carolina, 312-310-302=924 (+60)
17. North Carolina, 320-305-299=924 (+60)
Top 9 Individuals
1. Jackie Beers (Georgia), 75-69-68=212 (-4)
2. Susie Mathews (UCLA), 71-72-72=215 (-1)
3. Ashley Hoagland (Wake Forest), 75-68-73=216 (E)
3. Alison Walshe (Tulane), 70-70-76=216 (E)
3. Denise Knaebel (Missouri), 77-72-67=216 (E)
3. Leah Wigger (Virginia), 74-69-73=216 (E)
3. Charlotte Mayorkas (UCLA), 71-71-74=216 (E)
8. Chris Brady (Vanderbilt), 73-75-69=217 (+1)
8. Perry Swenson (Texas), 70-74-73=217 (+1)
Other Texas Individuals
T33. Kelley Louth, 73-76-76=225 (+9)
T38. Lisa Ferrero, 74-76-76=226 (+10)
T59. Julia Best, 74-78-78=230 (+14)
T64. Devan Andersen, 81-72-78=231 (+15)
80. Jordan Craig, 81-77-79=237 (+21)