Dec. 28, 2009
Complete game notes
#17/22 TEXAS (8-3) vs. Miami (10-1)
Wyndham Miami Holiday Tournament • Championship Game
Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2009 • 2 p.m. Central
BankUnited Center (7,000) • Austin, Texas
GAME DAY QUICK FACTS
RADIO: KVET-AM 1300 “The Zone” will broadcast Tuesday’s game between Texas and Miami. Jon Madani (pxp) and Carol Ross (analyst) will call the action.
SERIES: Tied, 1-1. Last meeting: Miami 57-55 (Dec. 9, 2001; Miami, Fla.)
• DUO SEEING DOUBLE ... Senior guard Brittainey Raven (26 points, 10 rebounds) and sophomore post Ashley Gayle (11 points, 13 rebounds) posted a pair of double-doubles in UT’s 94-83 victory over Central Michigan in the opening round of the Wyndham Miami Holiday Tournament. A pair of Texas players notched double-doubles for the first time since March 12, 2009, when Earnesia Williams and Kathleen Nash accomplished the same feat against Missouri in the first round of the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship. Gayle leads UT with three double-doubles through 12 games, while Raven became the second player to record multiple this season.
• PASSING IT AROUND ... Following a season-high 24 assists in their 91-42 win over Texas Southern on Dec. 20, the Longhorns recorded 20+ assists for the second-consecutive game when they dished out 21 against Cetnral Michigan. Three Longhorns have recorded 30+ assists this season, including Ashleigh Fontenette (36), Brittainey Raven (33) and Erika Arriaran (30).
• WINNING THE BOARDS ...
Texas has outrebounded three of its last five opponents by double-digit margins. The Longhorns sport a +5.0 rebounding advantage entering Tuesday’s game against the Hurricanes.SERIES VS. MIAMI
Tuesday’s contest will mark the third meeting between Texas and Miami. The teams are tied at 1-1 in the all-time series, with the Hurricanes winning the last contest, 57-55, on Dec. 9, 2001, in the Orange Bowl Fab Four Classic (Miami, Fla.). The Longhorns claimed a 112-43 in the first meeting in Austin on Feb. 17, 1986.
GOESTENKORS VS. MIAMI
Texas head coach Gail Goestenkors is a perfect 4-0 all-time against Miami. Coach G rattled off four-straight victories against ACC-foe Miami between 2005-07, her final three seasons as the head coach at Duke. Miami head coach Katie Meier also holds ties to the Blue Devils, as she was a four-year letterwinner from 1986-90.
LAST TIME OUT: CENTRAL MICHIGAN (DEC. 28)
Brittainey Raven had a season-high 26 points and 10 rebounds as No. 17 Texas defeated Central Michigan, 94-83, in the opening round of the Miami Wyndham Holiday Tournament. Ashley Gayle also recorded a double-double for Texas (8-3) – her second straight, with 11 points and a career-high 13 rebounds. Kathleen Nash scored 18 points - 16 in the first half - and Erika Arriaran added 15 points in the win. Down 20 early in the second half, Central Michigan pulled to within four at 72-68 with 7:44 to play. The Longhorns rallied and closed the game on a 22-15 run. Texas hit eight three-pointers in the first half in building a 52-37 lead. For the game, UT hit 11 treys - three apiece from Arriaran, Nash and Raven.
A CHECK OF THE POLLS
Texas is ranked No. 17 in the latest Associated Press poll (Dec. 28) for the fifth-straight week, and No. 22 in the latest ESPN/USA Today poll (Dec. 22). Following three non-conference contests against ranked opponents (Connecticut, Mississippi State, Tennessee), the Horns’ are expected to face five Big 12 opponents ranked in the Top 25: No. 5/5 Baylor (Jan. 31 in Austin, March 7 in Waco), No. 10/10 Texas A&M (Jan. 9 in Austin, Feb. 20 in College Station), No. 13/14 Nebraska (Jan. 12 in Lincoln), No. 14/15 Oklahoma (Feb. 3 in Norman, Feb. 27 in Austin) and No. 21/rv Kansas (Feb. 13 in Lawrence).
TEXAS TEAM NOTES (CENTRAL MICHIGAN)
• Texas improved to 1-0 all-time against Central Michigan.
• Texas is 1-0 this season using the lineup of Fontenette, Raven, Arriaran, Ka. Nash and Gayle.
• The Longhorns scored 50 or more points in the first half for the first time this season.
• UT made six or more 3-point baskets for the fifth-straight game and for the seventh time this season. UT recorded eight of its 11 3-pointers in the first half.
• The Longhorns recorded 21 assists, marking the third time this season they have notched 20+ assists and second-straight contest.
• Four players posted double-digit scoring for the fourth time this season … the Longhorns are 4-0 when four players reach double-figures.
• The Horns outrebounded their opponent by 10 or more for the fifth time this season (50-34, +16) … Texas’ 16+ rebounding margin matched its largest of the season (Oral Roberts, Dec. 1) … UT recorded 50 or more rebounds for the second time this season.
PLAYER SPOTLIGHT - Brittainey Raven
• Made her first start of the 2009-10 season. Has now started 91 of 111 games played in her career.
• Recorded her second double-double of the season with game-high and season-high 26 points (9-of-17 FG, 3-of-5 3FG, 5-of-6 FT) and 10 rebounds.
• Notched 20+ points for the first time this season and 14th of her career.
• Recorded her 16th-straight double-digit scoring effort dating back to March 4, 2009.
• Notched a season-high six assists.