No. 20/23 TEXAS (7-2) vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (3-4)
Sunday, Dec. 16, 2007 · 2 p.m. Central
Frank Erwin Center (capacity 16,755) · Austin, Texas
GAME DAY QUICK FACTS
RADIO: KVET 98.1 FM in Central Texas with Craig Way (play-by-play) and Chad Hastings (color commentator) calling the game.
In the National Rankings: Texas is No. 20 in the Associated Press Top 25 (media poll) & No. 23, USA Today/ESPN Preseason Poll (coaches poll)
Texas Head Coach Gail Goestenkors (Saginaw Valley State '85): 16th year overall: 504 games: 403-101 (.800); first year at Texas: 7-2 (.778)
Louisiana-Lafayette Head Coach Errol Rogers (Louisiana-Lafayette '95): 1st year overall as collegiate head coach: 7 games: 3-4 (.429)
All-Time Series Record: third meeting - Texas leads the series, 2-0
Texas' Home/Away/Neutral Record vs. UL: 2-0 at home, 0-0 away, 0-0 at neutral sites
Series Win Streak: +2, Texas
Last Meeting: Texas 69, Louisiana-Lafayette 59 (Nov. 13, 2006, in Basketball Travelers Classic 2nd round, Austin)
Goestenkors All-Time vs. UL: 0-0
· Hoops for Hunger: With the donation of three non-perishable food items receive a FREE general admission ticket.
· FREE Longhorns Kid Court EVERY home game! Pregame activity center for youth 18 and under is located in the adjacent Cooley Pavilion practice facility (follow signs from Erwin Center pavilions) ... Inflatables, basketball hoops of all kinds and sizes for the youngest to oldest child, face painting and contests ... Special visit from Santa Claus! Open 12:30 p.m. to 15-minute prior to 2 p.m. tipoff.
· UT students in the O-Zone section eligible for Hyde Park Bar & Grill gift cards, Schlotzsky's Cheer for Dough
Purchase online at TexasBoxOffice.com; at the UT Athletics Ticket Office in Bellmont Hall (Monday-Friday, 9 a.m-4 p.m.) and the Frank Erwin Center Box Office (Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; on game days one hour prior to tipoff); at Austin-area H-E-B stores; by calling the UT Athletics Ticket Office (512-471-3333 or 800-982-BEVO); or by calling Texas Box Office charge-by-phone (512-477-6060).
Texas, 7-2, carries a five-game win streak into today's contest against Sun Belt Conference member Louisiana-Lafayette (3-4)... Texas is No. 20 in the AP Poll this week (up from 24th) and No. 23 in the USA Today/ESPN coaches poll (up from 25th) ... Texas had a week's layoff due to fall semester final examinations, last playing Dec. 8 and defeating Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, 88-41 ... This will be the third meeting between these two squads, with Texas leading the series, 2-0... UT won 69-50 last Nov. 13, 2006 in Austin in second-round play at the four-team, three-day Basketball Travelers Classic in Austin ... Texas won the tourney with a 3-0 mark.
A Look at the Longhorns
Sophomore G Brittainey Raven leads the squad with a 17.0 ppg average, having scored in double-figures all nine games to date (she scored in single-digits in UT's last game of last season, so her double-digit streak began this year)... Raven is followed by freshman Kathleen Nash (11.0 ppg), junior Ashley Lindsey (10.3 ppg) and redshirt sophomore Earnesia Williams (10.0 ppg) ... Lindsey leads the club in rebounding (7.3 rpg) followed by Nash (6.2 rpg) ... Lindsey also ranks No. 11 nationally in blocks per game (26, 2.9 bpg)... Point guard Carla Cortijo follows with 9.8 ppg and team-highs of 45 assists (5.0 apg) and 26 steals (2.5 spg)... Raven is second in assists (27, 3.0 apg) and in steals (19)...
Texas in the NCAA Statistics
In the NCAA Division I national statistics, Texas is ranked No. 7 in scoring (80.2 ppg), No. 9 in scoring margin (+22.6 ppg) and No. 10 in blocks average (6.1 bpg)... Junior post Ashley Lindsey continues to be a leader in blocks per game, ranking 11th in the nation with 2.9 bpg.
A Look at the Ragin' Cajuns
Sun Belt Conference member Louisiana-Lafayette went 25-9 a year ago, advancing to the NCAA Championship where they played, ironically, in Austin, as UT hosted first/second round action at the Erwin Center ... UL lost to Marquette, 87-58, in that March 17th first-round contest ... UL has won its last two games, defeating Centenary (78-71) and LSU-Shreveport (63-40, Dec. 9) ... Top performers include 6-2 senior Sonora Edwards (12.9 ppg, 8.3 rpg), 5-8 junior G Whitney Dunlap (11.0 ppg, team-high 30 assists), 5-8 senior G Onna Charles (9.0 ppg) and 5-7 senior G Alicia McDaniel (8.7 ppg, 6.1 rpg).
Win Streak at Five
With last Saturday's 88-41 victory over TAMU-Corpus Christi, the Longhorns' win streak moved to five games - the program's longest in three seasons ... This is UT's longest win streak since Texas earned eight consecutive victories in 2004-05 over a period stemming from Feb. 9-March 9 ... Last year, Texas had four wins in a row (Nov. 20-Dec. 6) and also had four straight wins at mid-season in 2005-06.
Recap of 88-41 Win over TAMU-Corpus Christi
· The Longhorns shot 48.4 percent for the game while limiting the Islanders (1-7) to 26 percent shooting accuracy ... Texas now has out-rebounded all nine of its opponents this season, as UT held the edge on the boards against the Islanders, 49-32
· Texas connected on a season-high nine three-pointers, going nine-for-21 from 3-point range... The previous single-game high for 3-pointers made was six, which UT scored against both Tennessee (Nov. 18) and Virginia (Nov. 23) - ironically, both losses for the 7-2 Horns
· Redshirt sophomore guard Crystal Boyd, with a career-high 16 points, accounted for four of these nine 3-pointers, as she went four-for-six from long range, easily surpassing her former single game high of nine points, set as a freshman against Sam Houston State.
· Texas is now 4-0 all-time against the TAMUCC Islanders, a Southland Conference member ... Texas goes to 4-0 this season against the Southland Conference... In 81 all-time games against the Southland Conference, Texas stands 67-14, for a winning percentage of 82.8 percent.
Next Up: Onto the Road for Three Games
Following today's game with Louisiana-Lafayette, Texas closes out the December portion of its schedule with three road games, two against nationally-ranked opponents ... Texas travels to No. 18/19 Arizona State (Thursday, Dec. 20, 7:30 p.m. Central) for the second time in program history .... UT leads that series, 2-0, and last played the Sun Devils in December of 1999... In its last game, ASU (5-4) was upset by Texas Tech, 73-69, in Lubbock, Texas on Dec. 13.
The team breaks for the Christmas holiday after that game before going to the Maggie Dixon Surf 'N Slam Classic in San Diego on Friday and Sunday, Dec. 28 and 30 ... UT's first-round opponent on Dec. 28 will be No. 16/16 DePaul on Friday (10 p.m. Central), with Appalachian State and host San Diego playing in the other Friday game ... Texas is the defending champion of the tourney, defeating Oregon State (65-64) and San Diego (73-45) for the title.