'Pack the House' as Women's Basketball vs. Tennessee continues historic rivalry
Dec. 10, 2008
AUSTIN, Texas -- When Texas and Tennessee square off on the hardwood Sunday afternoon, many memorable moments will be rehashed in the Frank Erwin Center and new ones will be made. For many Women's Basketball fans, Texas and Tennessee are the benchmarks for women's college basketball programs. Fans won't want to miss out on their chance to see these titans collide.
Sunday's game marks the 30th meeting between the two teams. This rivalry has been highlighted by the constant chess match between former Texas head coach Jody Conradt and Tennessee head coach Pat Summitt, the two winningest coaches in women's college basketball history. Current Texas head coach Gail Goestenkors has her chance to add to this historic and mutually respected rivalry. Coach G's sixth-ranked Longhorns will take on the No. 7 Lady Vols in their first meeting in Austin under her leadership.
Sunday's game is part of the NCAA Pack the House Challenge, a national initiative and competition among conferences to raise awareness of women's basketball and build its existing fan base. The challenge for each institution is to increase attendance and diversify its audience for the highlighted game. With such a premier game, packing the house shouldn't be a challenge at all.
The Longhorns host Texas Rewind, a postgame Q&A session for the fans, following their Pack the House game. Texas Rewind is held in the Lone Star Room at the Erwin Center and is open to the public, but space is limited and on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Coach G encourages fans to bring their friends and family and make this challenge a success for Texas Women's Basketball and the Austin community. Tickets can be purchased online at TexasBoxOffice.com or by phone at 512-471-3333. For this special event, a $5 discounted ticket for groups of 10 or more may be purchased by calling 512-232-3865. Fans can also purchase $10 arena reserved tickets on gameday by printing a web coupon on the Bevo's Bargains page on TexasSports.com. UT students receive FREE admission with a Longhorn All-Sports Package (LASP) and their print-at-home ticket available at TexasBoxOffice.com.
Great Moments in the Texas-Tennessee Rivalry
· Nov. 25, 2004: 11,254 fans pack the Erwin Center as Tiffany Jackson's 19 points leads #4 Texas to a 74-59 win over #1 Tennessee. This marks the fourth consecutive victory by the Longhorns over the Lady Volunteers.
· Dec. 28, 2003: #5 Texas shocks #2 Tennessee in Knoxville behind the scoring of Nina Norman, snapping a Lady Vols' 25-game home-winning streak.
· Dec. 21, 2002: Nina Norman hits a 3-pointer from the top of the key to give #22 Texas a 63-62 win over the #4 Lady Vols.
· Feb. 12, 2002: Kala Bowers and Stacy Stephens lead Texas to a 69-66 win over Tennessee in Knoxville while snapping Texas' 13-game series losing streak.
· Jan. 31, 1989: Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil, the 1989 Naismith National Player of the year, leads Texas to a thrilling 69-67 win over Tennessee at the Frank Erwin Center.