UT-Arlington (3-1) at No. 24/25 TEXAS (4-2)
Thursday, Nov. 29, 2007 · 7 p.m. Central
Frank Erwin Center (16,755) · Austin, Texas
GAME DAY QUICK FACTS
TELEVISION: Fox Sports Southwest (Brett Dolan, play-by-play; Debbie Antonelli, color commentator)
RADIO: KVET 98.1 FM in Central Texas with Craig Way (play-by-play) and Chad Hastings (color commentator) calling the game.
INTERNET VIDEO: Watch Texas Basketball home games free online. (Due to Big 12 Conference television contracts, this event will be available for viewing no earlier than 11 p.m Central.)
· Orange Santa Holiday Toy Drive: With the donation of a new unwrapped toy, receive one FREE general admission ticket... Donations of toys go to the UT-based Orange Santa program to help those UT employees and their families facing hardships this holiday season
· UT students in the O-Zone section eligible for Hyde Park Bar & Grill gift cards and IMAX movie tickets
· UT students: Stampede and O-Zone shirts will be distributed at the start of the game.
Purchase online at TexasBoxOffice.com; at the UT Athletics Ticket Office in Bellmont Hall (Monday-Friday, 9 a.m-4 p.m.) and the Frank Erwin Center Box Office (Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; on game days one hour prior to tipoff); at Austin-area H-E-B stores; by calling the UT Athletics Ticket Office (512-471-3333 or 800-982-BEVO); or by calling Texas Box Office charge-by-phone (512-477-6060).
The 4-2 Longhorns will play at home tonight for the first time in 14 days, squaring off against UT-Arlington (3-1) ... Texas played its last four games on the road, going 2-2 ... Texas bring a two-game win streak into tonight's contest against the UT-Arlington Mavericks (3-1) from the Southland Conference ... UT head coach Gail Goestenkors' squad returned Monday from Hawaii, where UT went 2-1 at the Wahine Classic to finish fifth in the tourney ... Texas is ranked No. 24 in this week's AP Poll and No. 25 in the USA Today/ESPN Poll ... UTA, from the Southland Conference, brings a three-game win streak into the contest ... In most recent action, the Mavericks defeated Montana State (70-43, Nov. 17) and Pepperdine (64-54, Nov. 23).
New Coaches on Both Benches Tonight
Over the spring and summer, there were an unprecedented 50 head coaching changes at the NCAA Division I level; and, two of those new first-year coaches go up against each other tonight ... Texas is under the direction of first-year head coach Gail Goestenkors, after Goestenkors began her head coaching career with a tremendous 15-year run at Duke University which saw the Blue Devils advance to 13 consecutive NCAA championships with four Final Four showings ... UT-Arlington is coached by Samantha Morrow ... Morrow is in her first year as a collegiate head coach after a long successful tenure in the Texas high school coaching ranks in the Mansfield (Dallas) area ... Morrow coached from 1993-2002 at Mansfield High School where she won four state titles in her last four seasons, before moving to Mansfield Summitt from 2002-03 through 2006-07 ... Her 2007 squad was State 5A semifinalists.
A Look at the Longhorns
Sophomore G Brittainey Raven was named to the eight-member Wahine Classic All-Tournament Team - the only player selected from a team which did not finish in the top three ... Raven leads UT in scoring (17.5 ppg), adds 4.2 rpg, and is second in steals with 12 ... In the three-game Wahine Classic, Raven averaged 17.7 ppg and 4.7 rpg ... Following Raven in the stats columns are freshman G Kathleen Nash (12.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg, team-high 13 steals), redshirt sophomore PG Carla Cortijo (10.2 ppg, team-high 28 assists) and junior P Ashley Lindsey (10.2 ppg, team-high 7.8 rpg).
The UTA Mavericks
Leading the Mavs are senior G Maryann Abanobi (16.5 ppg), junior F Candice Champion (10.8 ppg, team-high 8.5 rpg), freshman F Shalyn Martin (10.0 ppg), sophomore C Kristina Grace (6.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg) and junior F Erin Dixon (4.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg).
The Texas-UTA Series
This is the 10th meeting in women's basketball between Texas and UTA, with the Longhorns leading play, 9-0 ... The series began in 1977, and the last time these two squad met was on Dec. 21, 2004 when Texas won, 69-24, in Austin ... In all-time games played in Austin against the Mavericks, UT stands 5-0; Texas is 1-0 in games played at Arlington; and 3-0 in games played at neutral sites.
Texas Against the Southland Conference
Tonight's game marks the second of four games that the Longhorns will play this season against Southland Conference opponents ... Tonight's game against UTA begins a three-game stretch against SLC foes, as Texas hosts Sam Houston State in three days (Sunday, Dec. 2, 2 p.m.) and then travels to Corpus Christi to face TAMU-Corpus Christi at the American Bank Center on Saturday, Dec. 8 (1:30 p.m.)... In it's last home game, Texas stopped Southland Conference member Lamar, 94-35 on Nov. 15 ... In all-time games against the Southland Conference, Texas stands 64-14, for a winning percentage of 82.1 percent.
Home Sweet Home- UT Plays 450th Erwin Center Home Game Tonight
Tonight, Texas returns home for the first of two consecutive games at the Erwin Center ... The Longhorns are 2-0 at home to date ... In all-time games at the Frank Erwin Center, Texas has played 449 games, winning 384 while losing just 65 -- a winning percentage of 85.5 percent ... That is the FIFTH best home-court winning percentage among all NCAA Division I women's basketball programs.
Notes from the Wahine Classic
· After dropping the opening game of the Honolulu tournament to Virginia (86-83), Texas bounced back over the weekend to post wins over Kentucky (72-60) and UAB (59-49) ... The win over UAB gave Texas fifth-place in the eight-team, three-day tourney ... The Longhorns were paced by All-Tournament Team pick Brittainey Raven, as the 6-0 sophomore guard averaged 17.7 points and 4.7 rebounds in the three game tourney... Raven was Texas' top scorer against Kentucky (17 points) and was the game-high scorer with 21 points against UAB - one point shy of her season high.
· The victory over UAB also gave head coach Gail Goestenkors her 400th career victory, as Goestenkors became the fourth-fastest Division I women's coach of all time to reach the 400-victory plateau ... Goestenkors is in her 16th year of collegiate head coaching overall and her first at Texas, and now stands 400-101 in her illustrious career ... Her winning percentage of 79.8 percent also ranks third among all active Division I coaches.
· Coaches who have reached 400 wins the fastest in Division I women's basketball play are: 1. Leon Barmore (Louisiana Tech, 465 games); 2. current Rutgers head coach C. Vivian Stringer (490 games, got 400th while Iowa head coach); 3. Connecticut mentor Geno Auriemma (495 games); 4. Gail Goestenkors (501).
· Junior post Ashley Lindsey chipped in with 33 points (11.0 ppg), 22 rebounds and nine blocks in the three games, pulling down a season-high 11 against UAB on Sunday.
It's So Raven, Offensively
Sophomore guard Brittainey Raven (17.5 ppg) has now been in double-figure scoring all six games this season; last year, she played in all 32 games and reached double-digit scoring 10 times in total ... Raven has been UT's leading scorer in four of the six games to date ... Last year as a rookie, Raven averaged 7.9 ppg.
Down the Longhorns Sidelines
Texas continues to control the boards, out-rebounding all six opponents to date ... Texas is averaging 42.7 rpg to the opposition's 36.5, as UT holds a +6.2 rebound margin per game ... The Longhorns also have great success when leading at the half, as Texas is undefeated (4-0) when leading at intermission ... The Longhorns have boosted their field goal percentage and free throw percentage significantly from last year ... Currently, Texas is hitting at a 45.6 percent clip from the floor, up from last year's 40.3 percent shooting accuracy ... The Longhorns are making 76.4 percent of their free throws to date ... Last year, UT made 69.4 percent of its foul shots ... Redshirt sophomore co-captain Earnesia Williams (9.3 ppg) has made 11 of 12 free throws and is shooting 50 percent from 3-point range, making five of 10 treys attempted ... Last year, Williams shot 70 percent from the free throw line (45-64) and was 12-for-40 from 3-point range (30 percent)... Sophomore point guard Carla Cortijo is 24-for-27 from the foul line through six games (88.9 percent), while freshman Kat Nash is 17-for-20 (.850).