TOURNAMENT TV UPDATE: The Texas-Texas Tech first round game on Tuesday, March 11 will be televised in the Austin and Waco areas on Time Warner Cable. In Austin, the game will air on Channel 77. Check your local listings for the channel in Waco. Each quarterfinal (March 12) and semifinal (March 13) game, along with the Phillips 66 Big 12 championship game (March 15) will be televised live on FSN (Fox Sports Net).
DALLAS -- The seedings and pairings for the 2008 Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Championship were announced late Thursday evening, and Gail Goestenkors' Texas Longhorns are the No. 7 seed and will face No. 10 seed Texas Tech in first-round play Tuesday, March 11 in Kansas City, Mo. The Big 12 women's tourney takes place Tuesday-Thursday and Saturday, March 11-13 and 15 at Municipal Auditorium.
Texas (19-11 overall) brings a three-game win streak into the contest with Texas Tech (16-14). All four first-round games will be played Tuesday, with Texas and Texas Tech playing at 6 p.m. Central. Texas finished regular season play with a 7-9 mark while the Lady Raiders were 4-12.
The quarterfinals follow on Wednesday, March 12 with the semifinals on March 13. The championship game is scheduled for Saturday, March 15.
The winner of the Texas-Texas Tech game advances to Wednesday, March 12 quarterfinal play against No. 2 seed Baylor (24-5, 12-4 in Big 12 regular season play), one of four teams to receive a first-round bye.
Kansas State won the Big 12 regular season championship, as the 21-8 Wildcats went 13-3 in the league to gain the tournament's No. 1 seed. Baylor is the No. 2 seed, while Oklahoma State (23-6, 11-5) claimed the No. 3 seed and Texas A&M (23-7, 11-5) the No. 4 seed.
Texas and Texas Tech will meet for the second time in less than a week and for the third time this year. On March 5 in the regular season finale at UT's Frank Erwin Center, the Longhorns upended Texas Tech 70-55. On January 20, Tech won the first game in the home-and-home format between the two Big 12 South Division schools by a 70-58 margin.
Texas has played in 23 all-time Big 12 tournament games and holds a 13-10 mark in tourney play (.565).
Tickets are available by calling Ticketmaster at 816-931-3330. They also can be purchased at the Municipal Auditorium box office (Monday - Friday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m.). Prices for Reserved All-Session tickets are $90 and $80. General admission seating is available in the upper balcony at $55.
Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Championship notes
· Texas All-Time in the Big 12 Championship Tournament: 13-10 (.565)
· Texas' Top Big 12 Tournament Finishes: 2003 Champions (3-0); 2004 & 2000 Runnerup (2-1); 1997 and 2005 Semifinals (1-1 both years)
· Texas Seeds in the Big 12 Championship Tournament: No. 1 (2003, 2004); No. 2 (1997, 2005); No. 4 (1999); No. 5 (2002); No. 6 (2000); No. 7 (1998, 2001, 2007, 2008); and No. 8 (2006)
· Last year, the Longhorns also were the seventh seed in the Phillips 66 Big 12 tourney and had a 6-10 regular season mark... The tourney took place at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City where Texas stopped Missouri in Big 12 Championship first-round play (70-57) before falling to 11th-ranked and No. 3 seed Oklahoma, 67-58 in the quarterfinals... The win over Missouri gave former UT head coach Jody Conradt her 900th career victory, and the game against OU was Conradt's final on the sidelines as she retired from coaching the next week.
· The Texas-Texas Tech is the longest series in Texas women's basketball history... Tuesday's first-round tourney game will be the 79th game in the series which is led by Texas (54-24)... In games played at neutral sites, Texas holds a 12-4 advantage over the Lady Raiders