Dec. 20, 2009
Box Score |
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Ashley Gayle had a career-high 14 points along with 10 rebounds and six blocks to help No. 17 Texas beat Texas Southern 91-42 Sunday.
Earnesia Williams scored 15 points for the Longhorns (7-3), who got coach Gail Goestenkors her 50th win at Texas since being hired away from Duke in 2007.
Jasmine Payne scored 22 points for Texas Southern (2-7) on 10 for 15 shooting.
Cokie Reed added 12 points for Texas, Kathleen Nash had 11, and Brittainey Raven added 10.
· Texas improved to 4-0 all-time against Texas Southern.
· Head coach Gail Goestenkors notched her 50th victory at UT. She is 446-127 all-time and 50-28 with the Longhorns.
· UT is 11-0 against in non-conference action against in-state foes under Goestenkors.
· UT is 409-72 all-time when playing in the Frank Erwin Center.
· UT posted its biggest victory margin of the season with a 49 point win.
· UT held Texas Southern to 42 points, the lowest total by an opponent this season and the lowest by a UT opponent since Colorado posted 32 (Jan. 17, 2009).
· UT posted a season-high 24 assists.
· Texas closed the first half on a 12-2 run that spanned the final 2:45 and built a 25-point halftime lead, its largest of the season (48-23).
· UT recorded a season-low 11 turnovers.
· All 10 players contributed points for the second time this season (North Texas, Nov. 20), and all scored at least five points for the first time.
· UT scored 40 or more points in the paint for the fourth time this season.
· UT scored a season-high 22 second chance points.
· The Horns outrebounded their opponent by 10 or more for the fourth time this season (+11).
· Recorded career-high 10 assists, the most by a Longhorn this season and the most by a Longhorn since Carla Cortijo posted 10 against Nebraska (Jan. 14, 2009).
· Recorded second double-double of the season with career-high 14 points (7-of-8 FG) and 10 rebounds.
· Scored 10 or more points for the third time of the season and her career.
· Tied career-high with 10 rebounds.
· Led the Longhorns in rebounding for the third time this season and the fifth time of her career.
· First Longhorn to post two double-doubles this season.
· Recorded team-high six blocks ... has posted at least two blocks in eight games this season.
· Has posted 32 blocks this season to move her into a tie for sixth place in UT's sophomore top 10 list in that category.
· Scored 11 points (3-of-8 FG, 3-of-5 3FG, 2-of-2 FT) for her sixth double-digit scoring effort of the season.
· Scored 10 or more points for the 38th time of her career.
· Knocked down three from behind the arc to give her 116 career 3-pointers, good for seventh in UT's career top 10 list for 3-pointers made.
· Scored season-high 15 points (5-of-9 FG, 1-of-1 3FG, 4-of-4 FT).
· First time to reach double figures since 10 against North Texas (Nov. 20)
· Scored 10 or more points for the second time this season and the 33rd time of her career.
· Led the team in scoring for first time this season and the 10th time of her career.
· Scored 10 points (4-of-15FG, 1-of-6 3FG, 1-of-3 FT) for her 15th-straight double-digit scoring effort dating back to March 4, 2009.
· Scored 10 or more points for the 10th time this season and the 73rd time of her career.
· Recorded 12 points (5-of-7 FG, 2-of-2 FT) for the second-straight game.
· Scored 10 or more points for the fourth time this season.
HEAD COACH Gail Goestenkors
On the game overall: I'm happy with a win right before Christmas. I think it was a good team effort tonight. Everybody on the team scored at least five points. I think we were passing the ball around very well. And with 24 assists, which is a career high, it's hard to complain. Erika [Arriaran] alone had 10 assists. Lastly, our posts had three points each which is also excellent. Because, for us to be the team we want to be, we have to have a good inside and outside attack. And I think we had that today. Overall, I'm very pleased. It is a great game to end on before break.
On the post game: We've been spending extra time. [Ashley] Gayle, Cokie [Reed], and Earnesia [Williams] all spend extra time. We've been doing a lot of break down drills. I think their hard work, even during finals when we didn't have practice, has really paid off.
On how she has made the team play more comfortable: I'm always going for turning the ball over and missing lay ups, but I think that they are learning how to take what I say and apply it to the game, while staying focused.
On the lineup: I think throughout the season, until Big 12's we are going to be working on finding out who can play with who, where and in what situation. It's good to have versatility and know who can play well together.
SOPHOMORE POST Ashley Gayle
On ball movement: The ball movement has definitely improved from our other games. We just had a better rhythm, and we weren't so worried about turning it over. I think that the less we worry about messing up the better we do.
On her six blocked shots: I think turning the block has always been the key to my defense. I know if I can't score on the offensive end, that my team is going to turn to me on the defensive end.
On her personal progress: I think working hard outside of practice has definitely paid off. Just being more comfortable on the court with my teammates has made a difference. I don't panic when I get the ball anymore. I take my time now, rather than rushing.
On what her focus is now: I just have to keep playing aggressive, stay comfortable, and keep moving the ball around.
On the difference between this game and Ole Miss: I was a little disappointed in myself. I missed a lot of easy shots. So today I was just a little more focused. I used last game to inspire me to play a lot better this game.
SENIOR FORWARD Earnesia Williams
On how the team was playing: I think we moved the ball well. Ashley [Gayle] was passing great and was putting me in great spots to score. I told the team that we needed to shoot the ball when we are open and I think we did that well today.
On what the team took from today: Always we know that it has to be an inside and outside game. We can't depend only on our guards to do all the work and score all the points. So we try to get a lot of attention inside so that we can kick it out to our open shooters.
On her play today: I want to help my team and continue to be aggressive for my teammates and keep it up. I've been working on taking the open shots and trying to play like I am comfortable. When I'm in a position to shoot I need to shoot the ball and being comfortable.