Dec. 5, 2010
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) -
Lykendra Johnson and Kalisha Keane had 20 points apiece, helping No. 25 Michigan State beat No. 17 Texas 71-57 on Sunday.
Johnson also had 11 rebounds for the Spartans, who knocked off a top-20 opponent for the second time in five days. Michigan State (7-1) beat No. 15 Florida State 72-64 in Tallahassee on Wednesday night.
Kathleen Nash led the Longhorns with 17 points. Ashleigh Fontenette had 13 and Ashley Gayle finished with 10.
Texas (4-2) committed 27 turnovers and lost the rebounding battle 43-40.
Brittney Thomas also had 13 points for Michigan State, and reserve Porsche Poole finished with 11 points.
The Spartans led 31-27 at halftime.
- Tallied 10 points (4-of-10 FG, 0-of-1 3FG, 5-of-10 FT) for her fourth double-digit scoring effort of the year and 28th of her career.
- Recorded third-straight double-digit scoring effort
Anne Marie Hartung
- Scored 10 points (4-of-6 FG, 2-of-4 FT) for her third double-digit scoring effort of the season and eighth of her career.
- Also pulled down five rebounds and four blocks
- Has recorded at least four blocks in four games this season
- Pulled down career high nine rebounds
- Led the Longhorns in rebounding for the first time of her career
- Recorded her fourth-straight double-digit scoring effort with 17 points (4-of-9 FG, 1-of-4 3FG, 8-of-9 FT)
- Has scored 10 or more points in all six games this season and 59 times in her career
- Led the Longhorns in scoring for the first time this season and the 17th time of her career
- Is the only Longhorn to score in double-digits in all six games this season
- Made at least one three-point basket for the 18th straight game dating back to Feb. 3, 2010 when she did not make one.
Texas Head Coach Gail Goestenkors
Not the homecoming I was hoping for. I give a lot of credit to Michigan State, every game I've watched them they've improved; the Florida State game in particular was a big step up for them. Suzy does a good job and has a good combination together, their defense sets the tone and they did well in rebounding. We couldn't keep them off the boards. I am disappointed overall with our effort, you can't turn the ball over 27 times and expect to come away with a win. Between our turnovers and the offensive rebounds we allowed, we didn't have a chance.
On the offense being out of sync and having a week off...
It was a bad week of practice for us. All but the last day we had at least two people out of practice. We are taking final exams right now, and I asked the team if this practice was an exam, what would you give yourselves, and the team said a D. This game reflects our practices and if I had to grade us on this game I would give us a D as well. Everyone has to go through finals and deal with it but you have to refocus and play ball.
On Ashley Gayle's foul trouble...
We don't have a lot of depth in the post and we understand that and Gayle needs to stay in the game. Her fouls were a problem and when she picked up her technical she had four fouls. I thought we were making a push at that point and when she picked up the technical, which gave her four, I think it took the wind out of her sails.