Nov. 20, 2008
Box Score | Photo Gallery
Notes | Quotes
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Kathleen Nash had 11 points and 12 rebounds, leading No. 14 Texas to a 87-36 rout of Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Thursday night.
Brittainey Raven scored 15 of her 19 points in the second half for the Longhorns (4-0), who took command with a 33-9 run in the first 15 minutes of the game.
Ashley Lindsey sparked Texas early, scoring eight points in the first 5 minutes. She finished with nine points and five rebounds.
The Longhorns went on another long run to open the second half, outscoring the Islanders 26-9 in the opening 10 minutes.
Jade Davis led Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (1-2) with 10 points and four rebounds.
· Texas improved to 15-3 (.833) at home under Gail Goestenkors.
· Texas improved to 4-0 on the season for the 14th time in school history and the first time since the 2003-04 season.
· Texas led 39-21 at the half, marking its largest halftime lead of the season (18 points).
· Texas held its opponent to less than 30 percent from the field for the second time this season (Dayton - 28.0%, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi - 25.4%).
· Texas' 51-point margin of victory was its largest since last defeating Sam Houston State, 91-41, on Dec. 2, 2007 in Austin.
· The Longhorns have won 29 of their last 37 home contests, including their last five games.
· Texas improved to a perfect 5-0 all-time against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
· The Longhorns recorded nine blocks after entering the game with 10 total blocks over their first three contests.
· Texas scored the first eight points of the game in a span that lasted the first 2:33 of the opening half.
· All 11 Longhorns saw action for the third time this season.
· Texas has outscored its opponents 341-196 in its first four contests of the season.
· Four Longhorns scored in double-digits (Brittainey Raven - 19; Yvonne Anderson - 12; Kat Nash - 12; Earnesia Williams - 10) marking the second-straight game that at least three players have reached double-figure scoring.
· Has now started the season 4-0 nine times in her 17-year head coaching career (eight times while head coach of Duke).
· Collected her third-straight double-digit scoring effort with 19 points...15 of which came in the second half.
· Scored six of the Longhorns first 10 points (3-of-5) in the first 3:24 of the game... also added an assist during that opening stretch.
· Tied her season-high with four blocks.
· Recorded a career-high 12 points (2-of-5 FG, 2-of-3 3FG, 6-of-8 FT).
· Hit the first three-pointer of her UT career at the 8:48 mark in the first half...finished the game with two from beyond the arc.
· Recorded her third career double-double and first of the season with 12 points (3-of-9 FG, 1-of-5 3FG, 5-of-7 FT) and 12 boards.
· Pulled down a team- and season-high 12 rebounds... was the Longhorns top rebounder for the second-straight game.
· Dished out a career-high five assists.
· Tied season-high with six rebounds...five of which came in the first half.
· Posted third double-digit scoring effort of the season tying her season-high of 10 points.
· Posted a career-high five blocks.
· Registered a career-high three steals and tied her career-high with two blocks.
HEAD COACH Gail Goestenkors
Opening statement: I'm glad to always come away with a win. It wasn't our best performance. I felt like we missed a lot of easy shots and really lost our focus defensively. But, I thought we played a much better half of basketball in the second half. I don't know if that is a result of playing four games in six days, or if we jumped out to such an early lead. At halftime, we talked about the fact that we need to really play at our own level every game. I felt like, at times, we were not at the level we needed to be. We've got another game coming up real quick on Sunday, so we'll get back to practice tomorrow and be ready to play.
On the team's aggressive defense: We always want to be aggressive. We don't really talk about blocking shots. We know we have excellent shot blockers on the team, but that's not something I really care about, because I just want to play good team defense. I think it does give the guards a lot of confidence, because they know if they do get beat that they have somebody behind them that can really help them out. Tonight, several people on the team were blocking shots.
On the caliber of play: It was a tough situation for Corpus Christi to come into. They have three starters out with injuries. I think if they would've been at full strength, it would've been much more competitive than it was. Corpus is a good team. They played hard, they never gave up and I give them a lot of credit. I think they are just in a tough situation right now with injuries and playing away from home.
On Ashley Lindsey's play: We just watched video tape together today before the game. We talked about how she needs to stay aggressive and post up hard. She really needs to work on the rebounding. If she stays aggressive, good things are going to happen for her because she is so skilled.
SENIOR FORWARD Ashley Lindsey
On playing more aggressive tonight: I was disappointed in how I played in the last game. Coach said that I did a better job tonight, but I still thought that I did pretty badly. Like coach said, we watched film together and we talked about me posting up harder and going harder to the boards.
On how important the shot blocking aspect of her game is: I'm not really into blocking shots, and sometimes it just happens. We all need to play as a team and play team defense like Coach G said.
On playing tough on the inside: They have big posts, like you guys saw tonight, so we always want to either deny or front them and play hard and bump them before they come down onto the block and get into the paint. On offense, my teammates helped me out and I went in the post as hard as I could when I got the ball.
SENIOR FORWARD Earnesia Williams
On the team's lapses on defense: We had some lapses in our defense. We weren't rotating together and we weren't on the same page sometimes when we really needed to be. I think after halftime, we really picked it up a little bit. I think we'll work on our rotations and really improve that for the next game.
On playing the role of bringing the energy: I would say that is in my role. As a captain, you have to keep the team together and motivated. You have to bring that energy. It's just in my personality to have energy when I play on defense and to just be exciting in the game and keep everybody in good spirits. I have to try to keep everybody on the same page together.
TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI QUOTES
HEAD COACH ROBERT ROBINSON
Opening statement: Texas is good and we are not that good right now without all of our starters. I thought we competed well, but in the second half we slowed down a little bit. I'm not going to say we quit because we didn't quit. Texas pressure causes their opponents problems.
On the part of the game he felt his team looked their strongest: I felt the first half we did well. We started a little slow but once we figured out we could hang I think we picked up the momentum and looked strong out there.