DALLAS (AP) -- Nina Norman wasn't going to let that heavy bandage on her left hand keep her from playing in the NCAA tournament, or from shooting the ball.
Playing with a broken pinkie, Norman scored 20 points on 7-of-11 shooting with five assists Saturday to lead third-seeded Texas to a 64-47 victory over Oral Roberts in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
Texas will face sixth-seeded Georgia on Monday night.
Norman hurt her finger in the regular-season finale and missed the Big 12 tournament. A wrap covered the bottom part of the senior guard's hand, and the pinkie and index fingers were taped together.
But Norman, who averaged just 7.5 points during the regular season, played as if the bandage weren't even there.
The Longhorns (22-8) won for the 13th time in 15 games since a January slump raised concerns about a team that started the season ranked No. 2 with three senior starters. No. 14 seed Oral Roberts (22-9) was in the NCAA tournament for only the third time, all without a win.
Jamie Carey, one of the Texas seniors, scored 13 points with three 3-pointers. Sophomore Tiffany Jackson also had 13 points, along with nine rebounds.
After both teams hit only a free throw in the first three minutes, Texas went ahead to stay. Carey hit a 3-pointer, then stole a pass and drove for a layup.
The Longhorns maintained a double-digit throughout after Carey stole a pass that led to a 3-pointer by Norman -- who had missed her first two shots -- for a 26-14 lead with 4:37 left before halftime. After another Oral Roberts turnover, Norman scored off a fast break.
Elisha Turek, the Mid-Continent Conference's top scorer and rebounder, had 21 points and seven rebounds for Oral Roberts. But she made just 2-of-11 shots and had just five points at halftime, when the Golden Eagles already trailed 36-14.
Texas focused on pressuring Turek, and she had two fouls of her even before being able to take her first shot more than five minutes into the game. She played all but two minutes and shot 8-for-20.
Oral Roberts couldn't repeat what it did while winning the Mid-Continent tournament, where it held three opponents to 27 percent shooting and just 41 points a game. Texas shot 49 percent.
· The #3 seed is 68-5 in first-round games of the NCAA Women's Tournament (as of right now with the Texas victory).
· The #14 seed is winless (0-45) in first-round games.
· Texas is 31-19 all-time in the NCAA Women's Tournament (21 appearances).
· Texas is making its seventh-straight appearance in the NCAA Women's Tournament.
· Oral Roberts is 0-3 all-time in the NCAA Women's Tournament (3 appearances).
· Oral Roberts' last appearance was in the 2001 NCAA Women's Tournament.
· The University of Texas has one NCAA Tournament title (1986) and three Final Four appearances, all under coach Jody Conradt.
· Texas head coach Jody Conradt is tied for fourth-most tournament appearances (21) by a coach in NCAA Women's Tournament history.
· This was the sixth meeting between Texas and Oral Roberts; Texas holds a 5-1 advantage after today's contest. It was the first meeting between the teams in NCAA Tournament play.
· Coach Jody Conradt has 31 NCAA Tournament wins (50 games).
· The University of Texas advances to the second round of the Chattanooga Regional to take on the winner of the first-round game between Georgia and Rice.
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS: (22-8)
· Texas has won nine of its last 10 games... The Longhorns are now 13-2 in their last 15 contests. · Texas led at the half for the 21st time this season (30 games); 16-5 when leading at the half. · Texas is now 7-1 against teams from the Mid-Continent Conference. · With the win, team improves to 2-1 on neutral courts this season.
F Tiffany Jackson (Soph.)
· Reached double figures for the 26th time this season and for the seventh straight game. Finished with 13 points.
G Jamie Carey (Sr.)
· Reached double-digit points for the 19th time this season and for the third straight game. Finished with 13 points.
G Nina Norman (Jr.)
· Reached double-digit points for the eighth time this season. Finished with a team-high 20 points. · Led Texas in scoring of the second time this season. · Started game for the first time since injury sustained against Oklahoma on Feb. 26; missed three previous games before today's game.
ORAL ROBERTS UNIVERSITY: (22-9)
· Loss to Texas snaps a four-game winning streak, which included a three-game sweep of the Mid-Continent Conference Tournament... Oral Roberts is now 0-3 in all-time NCAA tournament games.
F Elisha Turek (Soph.)
· Reached double figures for the 27th time this season and for the second consecutive game. Finished with a game-high 21 points.
G Katie Langford (Soph.)
· Grabbed a career-high seven rebounds. (Previous: 6 (twice), most recent vs Chicago State, 2/12/05)