Feb. 24, 2009
COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) -- Brittainey Raven scored a career-high 31 points and 16th-ranked Texas overcame an early 10-point deficit to beat Missouri 66-56 on Tuesday night.
The Longhorns (20-7, 8-5 Big 12) also got 10 points each from Ashley Lindsey and Kathleen Nash as they shook off back-to-back losses to Oklahoma State and Texas A&M.
Alyssa Hollins led Missouri (12-14, 3-10) with 18 points. Jessra Johnson finished with 16 points and a game-high 10 rebounds.
Texas got off to a slow start, hitting 3-of-12 field goals and falling behind 19-9.
But a 3-pointer by Nash with 9:32 left in the first half put the Longhorns back in the game. Texas took the lead for good at 24-22 on a putback by Nash and led 30-24 at halftime.
The Tigers closed within 34-31 early in the second half but got no closer the rest of the way, as Texas held them to 8-for-33 shooting in the period.
· The Longhorns have now reached 20-win seasons under second-year head coach Gail Goestenkors in as many years ... the 2008-09 squad becomes the 28th team in Texas' 35-year women's basketball history to eclipse the 20-win mark ... it is also Gail Goestenkors' 12th-consecutive team to record 20 or more wins.
· Texas overcame a 10-point Mizzou lead in the first half for its largest deficit overcome since rallying from an 11-point deficit at Iowa State (Feb. 15).
· The Longhorns used a 13-2 run that spanned from 9:32 to 4:13 - five minutes and 19 seconds - in the first half to take their first lead of the game, 22-21.
· Texas improved to 5-0 against Big 12 North opponents.
· The Longhorns held the Tigers to just 56 points, and has now held 17 opponents to 60 points or less this season.
· Three players reached double-figure scoring (Brittainey Raven - 31; Ashley Lindsey - 10; Kathleen Nash - 10) for the 16th time this season ... Texas is 14-2 when three or more players score 10 points or more.
· UT shot 50 percent from the field (24-of-48) ... UT has shot 50 percent or better in eight games, including three in league play.
· UT shot 82.4 percent from the free-throw line (14-of-17) ... it is the first time the Longhorns have shot 80 percent or better from the charity stripe in conference action and the sixth time this season.
· Texas recorded 41 rebounds ... it is the first time in five games the Longhorns have eclipsed 40 rebounds and the sixth time in Big 12 play.
· Recorded a career-high 31 points (10-of-14 FG, 2-of-4 3FG, 9-of-10 FT), surpassing her previous career best of 26 (at Oklahoma State, Feb. 5) ... first time to surpass the 30-point mark, and becomes the only current Longhorn to have reached 30 or more points in a single game ... she is the first Longhorn since Tiffany Jackson to record 30 or more points (33 vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Dec. 21, 2006).
· Has led UT in scoring in 13 games this season and 35 in her career.
· Made a career-high 10 field goals, surpassing her previous best of nine (at Texas Tech, Jan. 10) ... also made a career-high nine free throws.
· Recorded a complete game with two rebounds, two assists, one block and one steal.
· Recorded a game-high six assists.
· Led UT in rebounding with eight boards ... has led the Longhorns in six games this season and 28 in her career.
· Also recorded double-digit scoring with 10 points (4-of-6 FG, 2-of-2 FT) ... has reached double-figures in 10 games this season and 35 in her career.
· Recorded double-digit scoring for the first time in five games with 10 points (3-of-7 FG, 2-of-5 3FG, 2-of-2 FT) ... has reached double-figures in 19 games this season and 29 in her career.