No. 15 Women's Basketball drops Big 12 opener to Nebraska, 56-45
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- Kelsey Griffin scored 13 points and pulled down 10 rebounds and Nebraska knocked off No. 15 Texas on Wednesday night in the Big 12 opener for both teams.
Nebraska used a 13-0 run midway through the second half to take control. The Huskers smothered Texas throughout the game. The Longhorns shot just 26 percent from the field and made only three field goals in the final 13 minutes, two of them in last 60 seconds.
The Huskers (11-3, 1-0 Big 12) trailed 30-29 when Danielle Page started the run with a short jumper with 12:34 left. Nebraska scored on its next six possessions while Texas missed eight shots.
Griffin scored five of her 13 points in the spurt, which was capped by Nikki Bober's jumper that made the score 42-30 with 9:20 remaining. Nebraska's biggest lead was 16 at 50-34 after Yvonne Turner's free throw with 3:57 left.
The shorter Huskers dominated the boards, outrebounding Texas 55-40 and grabbing 20 offensive rebounds.
Both teams struggled to score in the first half. Texas (12-3, 0-1) hit 24 percent of its shots in the first 20 minutes while Nebraska made just 19 percent. The Longhorns led 19-17 at halftime.
Nebraska warmed up in the second half, shooting 44 percent and hitting 13 of 18 free throws.
Joining Griffin in double figures for Nebraska was Cory Montgomery, who finished with 10 points. Turner had nine points and six steals for the Huskers.
Brittainey Raven had 18 points to lead Texas. Ashley Lindsay had 11 rebounds and seven blocked shots for the Longhorns.
· UT junior post Ashley Lindsey established a career high (and a UT season-high) in blocks with seven ... Lindsey's prior high was six blocks reached multiple times ... in the first half, Lindsey had eight rebounds and five blocks, but did not scor
· The loss snaps UT's 10-game win streak... the 10-game win streak was the longest since UT won 17 straight during 2002-03 Final Four season en route to 30-5 mar
· The loss puts Texas at 8-4 in all-time Big 12 Conference regular season openers ... Texas also lost the Big 12 season opener last year (also to Nebraska in Austin, 79-75
· The loss gives Texas an all-time Big 12 regular season record of 110-67, and UT is tied for third in all-time league conference win
· The 19-17 Texas lead at intermission marks the fourth lowest first-half point total ever for Texas in history, and also was the fourth lowest Nebraska first-half point total in history as wel
· With the lead at the break, Texas is now 12-1 in games leading at intermission, with tonight's game the lone loss
· The 36 combined points by both teams at the half tied the least combined first-half point total by the Huskers and an opponent in Nebraska history
· The 19 points by Texas were the lowest in a half for the Horns this year and UT's 24.2 percent shooting in the first half also was a season-low for first-half shooting ... Prior lows were 25 by UT in the first half against Arizona State (UT led 25-24 and beat ASU 62-51) and UT's 30.2 percent shooting accuracy (first half) against UT-Arlington on Nov. 29 (a 76-60 Texas win)