No. 23/RV Women's Basketball runs past Sam Houston State, 94-50
Jan. 2, 2011
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Kathleen Nash tied a career-high with five 3-pointers and finished with 19 points as No. 23 Texas beat Sam Houston State 94-50 on Sunday.
In its final game before the start of Big 12 play, Texas took an 8-0 lead against the Bearkats (6-8).
Entering the game having won consecutive tournament championships, the Longhorns extended the lead when Ashleigh Fontenette made a steal, converted the fastbreak layup and was fouled for a three-point play with 11:45 remaining in the half.
Texas ended the final 10 minutes of the first half on a 29-7 run to take a 49-17 lead.
Britni Martin scored 14 points and had seven rebounds for Sam Houston State.
The Longhorns open Big 12 play Saturday at Missouri.
-Texas has won six straight games since its 92-77 loss to No. 8 Tennessee in Austin on Dec. 12.
-Texas held Sam Houston State to just 17 points in the first half which was a season-low for a UT opponent ... the Longhorns held San Diego to 18 points in the first half on Dec. 30, 2010 ... over the last two games, UT opponents have scored just 35 points in the first halves.
-Texas limited the Bearkats to 22.2 percent shooting from the field (16-of-72), a season-low for a Horn opponent
-The Longhorns dished out a season-high 24 assists against the Bearkats.
-Of Texas' 11 wins, 10 have been by double-digit scoring margins.
-Gail Goestenkors is 15-0 against non-conference, in-state opponents.
-Texas had six players record double-figure scoring for the second time this season
- Posted her 12th double-digit scoring effort of the season with 16 points (4-of-13 FG, 3-of-7 3FG, 5-of-6 FT)
- Has recorded double-figures in all but one game played this season
-Posted her 11th double-digit scoring effort of the season with 11 points (4-of-9 FG, 3-of-3 FT)
-Scored 10 or more points for the 34th time of her career
-Recorded her fifth double-double of the season with 10 points (3-of-3 FG, 4-of-7 FT) and team-high 11 rebounds
-Has led the Longhorns in rebounding for the last eight games
-Recorded 10 or more rebounds for the seventh time this season and the 18th time of her career.
-Recorded six blocks to move her career total to 225, moving her into third place all-time at Texas, passed Angela Jackson (221 blocks, 1994-97)
-Tied career-high six assists
-Led the Horns in assists for the first time of her career
- Recorded her 14th-straight double-digit scoring effort with 19 points (5-of-6 FG, 5-of-5 3FG, 4-of-4 FT)
- Has scored 10 or more points in all 14 games this season and 67 times in her career
- Is the only Longhorn to score in double-digits in all 14 games this season
- Tied career-high with five made from 3-point range.
- Tied the Texas record for 3-point percentage in a game with her 1.000 percent on 5-of-5 shooting ... tied the mark she set last season vs. Kansas State (Feb. 17, 2010)
- Made at least one three-point basket for the fifth-straight game dating back to Dec. 18 vs. SMU
- Was perfect from beyond the arc for the fourth time of her career
- Extended her streak of consecutive free throws made to 15 with her perfect mark of 4-of-4 from the charity stripe
- With five made from beyond the arc, now has 199 career 3-pointers, good for second place all time at UT
- With 21 points, now has 1,289 career points, placing her 22nd all time at UT.
- Tied season-high with four steals
-Recorded double-digit scoring for the third-straight game with 11 points (4-of-9 FG, 2-of-4 3FG, 1-of-2 FT)
-Scored 10 or more points for the 10th time this season and 16th time of her career
- Recorded career-high 12 points (4-of-5 FG, 4-of-7 FT)
- Recorded double-digits for the second time of her career
- Also pulled down season-high six rebounds
TEXAS POST GAME QUOTES