CARSON, Calif. -- Sophomore Donovan Kilmartin (Eagle, Idaho) finished 11th in the decathlon at the U.S. Championships on Friday with 6,736 points. Nike's Bryan Clay won the event with 8,506 points.
After entering the second day in fifth place, Kilmartin scored 862 points in the 110-meter hurdles with a fifth-place finish in 14.90. He went on to add another 663 points in the discus after notching a mark of 131-0.
Heading into his signature event, the pole vault, Kilmartin had 5,519 points. He entered the event with the bar at 15-9, but missed on all three attempts and didn't produce a score.
He finished off the competition by scoring 612 points in the javelin and 605 points in the 1,500 meters to finish 11th.
Next up for the Longhorns, junior Brian Robison (Splendora, Texas) will compete in the shot put on Sunday, June 26 at 4 p.m. (Central).
-- Ryan Ponsonby, 3:45.47 (p)
Decathlon (After five events)
11. Donovan Kilmartin, 6,736 points
100 Meters (Decathlon)
9. D. Kilmartin, 11.39 (776 points)
Long Jump (Decathlon)
3. D. Kilmartin, 23-4.75 (7.13m) (845 points)
Shot Put (Decathlon)
7. D. Kilmartin, 44-11.75 (13.71m) (711 points)
High Jump (Decathlon)
3. D. Kilmartin, 6-10.25 (2.09m) (887 points)
400 Meters (Decathlon)
11. D. Kilmartin, 50.87 (775 points) (personal best)
110-Meter Hurdles (Decathlon)
5. D. Kilmartin, 14.90 (862 points)
12. D. Kilmartin, 131-00 (39.94m) (663 points)
Pole Vault (Decathlon)
-- D. Kilmartin, NH (0 points)
9. D. Kilmartin, 169-3 (51.59m) (612 points)
1,500 Meters (Decathlon)
8. D. Kilmartin, 4:52.25 (605 points)