Feb. 7, 2013
• Tyson Invitational: Live Results | Heat Sheets | Schedule | Video (Subscription)
• Husky Classic: Live Results | Heat Sheets | Schedule
The Texas men’s track and field team will send split squads to a pair of prestigious meets this weekend, both serving as final tuneups before the Big 12 Indoor Championships.
The 11th-ranked team’s sprinters, hurdlers, and jumpers will be at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark., and most of the distance runners will travel to the Husky Classic in Seattle. Each of the two competitions is a two-day meet.
The Tyson Invitational begins at noon CST Friday and continues at 2 p.m. Saturday at Arkansas’ Randal Tyson Track Center.
The Husky Classic starts at 6 p.m. CST Friday and at 10 a.m. Saturday from Washington’s Dempsey Indoor Stadium.
“This is a really important week for our team,” Texas head coach Bubba Thornton said. “The is the last opportunity for the guys to demonstrate to us they want to be part of the 26-man travel squad to Iowa State. We’ve put them in the best two competitions in the nation this weekend. If we can perform at a high level, we'll be ready for the conference meet.”
Two of the Longhorns heading to the Tyson Invitational are ranked among the top five nationally in events. Senior Keiron Stewart ranks fifth in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 7.73, while senior Hayden Baillio ranks fifth in the shot put with a throw of 63-7 3/4 (19.40m). Each will participate in those events this weekend.
Baillio, Clint Harris, Blake Jakobsson and Will Spence will compete in Friday’s weight throw and the shot put takes place on Saturday.
After taking last week off, the pole vault crew will return to action at Arkansas. Hayden Clark, Johannes Hock, Mark Thomas, Reese Watson and Casey Wicker will all look to post marks heading into the Big 12 meet, which is set for Feb. 22-23 in Ames, Iowa.
Junior Ryan Dohner is also among the nation’s elite. He is currently fourth in the nation in the 5,000 meters after opening his season at the Hoosier Open with a time of 13:52.85. He will look to improve upon his time of 8:01.30 in the 3,000, which he clocked two weeks ago at the Razorback Invitational. That time ranks No. 8 in the nation. The top 16 marks in each individual event advance to the NCAA Indoor Championships.
Dohner and Joe Stilin, who set the school record in the mile (3:58.66) two weeks ago and ranks seventh nationally in that event, will participate in the 3,000-meter invitational at the Husky Classic. That race also features Ryan Hill of NC State, who has the top time in the nation in the 5,000, and Patrick Casey, who has the No. 1 time nationally in the mile.
Austin Bussing and Craig Lutz will run in the regular draw of the 3,000 on Saturday. Will Nation and Rory Tunningley will take part in Friday night’s 5,000 meters.
“The Husky Classic gives our guys in the mile, 3,000 and 5000 opportunities to improve their marks in the events at the national level,” Thornton said. “We have one of the toughest conferences in the country in those events.”
TEXAS ENTRIES- TYSON INVITATIONAL (All times Central)
Friday, Feb. 8
• Long Jump (1:00 p.m.): Basil Fares, Johannes Hock, Emerson Sanders, Jake Wohlford
• 400 Meters (2:00 p.m.): Zack Bilderback, Josh Brudnick
• 60-Meter Hurdles Prelims (3:30 p.m.): Josh Brudnick, Keiron Stewart, Jake Wohlford
• 800 Meters (4:20 p.m.): John McNamara, Blake Williams
• Weight Throw (5:00 p.m.): Hayden Baillio, Clint Harris, Blake Jakobsson, Will Spence
• 60 Meters Prelims (5:10 p.m.): Basil Fares, Johannes Hock, Emerson Sanders, Keiron Stewart
• 60-Meter Hurdles Semifinals (6:30 p.m.):
• 60 Meters Semifinals (6:40 p.m.):
• 60-Meter Hurdles Finals (7:40 p.m.):
• 60 Meters Finals (7:55 p.m.):
Saturday, Feb. 9
• Pole Vault (11:00 a.m.): Hayden Clark, Johannes Hock, Mark Thomas, Reese Watson, Casey Wicker
• High Jump (noon): Victor Glaze II, Johannes Hock
• Triple Jump (noon) : Jarard Bruner
• Shot Put (2:00 p.m.): Hayden Baillio, Clint Harris, Blake Jakobsson, Will Spence
• 200 Meters (2:15 p.m.): Zack Bilderback, Basil Fares
• 3,000 Meters (3:15 p.m.): John McNamara, Mark Pinales, Collin Smith
• 4x400-Meter Relay (4:20 p.m.):
TEXAS ENTRIES- HUSKY CLASSIC (All times Central)
Friday, Feb. 8
• 5,000 Meters (9:30 p.m.): Will Nation, Rory Tunningley
Saturday, Feb. 9
• 800 Meters (1:45 p.m.): David Anamosa
• 3,000 Meters (2:40 p.m.): Austin Bussing, Craig Lutz
• Mile (4:20 p.m.): Kevin Rayes, Brady Turnbull
• Mile Invite (5:35 p.m.): Patrick McGregor, Kyle Merber,
• 3,000 Meters Invite (6:55 p.m.): Ryan Dohner, Joe Stilin