Feb. 8, 2013
Tyson Invitational Results | Husky Classic Results
With the Big 12 Conference meet just two weeks away, Keiron Stewart is rounding into form for the 11th-ranked Men's Track and Field team.
The senior matched his own school record in the finals of the 60-meter hurdles at Friday's Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark., by clocking a time of 7.66.
He set the record in winning the 2011 Big 12 title and now owns six of the top eight marks in school history.
Stewart came in second in the race to Caleb Cross of Arkansas who edged him in 7.65. Cross' time is tied for second in the country this season, while Stewart moved from fifth to fourth on the national performance list.
The Longhorns' four-time first team All-American is in solid shape to make his third appearance at the NCAA Indoor meet. The top 16 times in each individual event advance to next month's national meet which will take place back at Arkansas.
Stewart had the second-best time in the prelims (7.77) and then posted what was his best time of the season (7.72) in the semis when he tied for first with Greggmar Swift of Indiana State who had run that same time earlier this year. He ranked fourth in the country heading into this weekend.
Texas had some other solid performances at Arkansas' non team-scored meet.
Jake Wohlford, one of Texas' multi-event athletes, had his best outing in the 60mh. He clocked a season-best 7.97 in the semis and finished eighth (8.01) in a deep the finals field.
Freshman Zack Bilderback posted a personal-best time of 47.60 in the 400 meters, a time that ranks fifth on the 2013 Big 12 performance list.
Hayden Baillio had his best effort of the season in the weight throw, posting a mark of 59-6 3/4 (18.15m) to claim ninth. Brandon Pounds of Indiana State, the national leader in the event, won with a toss of 69-3 1/2 (21.12m).
Baillio will compete in his specialty, the shot put, on Saturday. He ranks fifth nationally with a mark of 63-7 3/4 (19.40m).
After taking last week off, the pole vault crew will return to action Saturday. Hayden Clark, Johannes Hock, Mark Thomas, Reese Watson and Casey Wicker are all looking to find some consistency heading into the Big 12 Indoor Championships, which is set for Feb. 22-23 in Ames, Iowa.
Texas sent a number of distance runners to the Husky Classic in Seattle, though just two were in action Friday night with Will Nation and Rory Tunningley competing in the 5,000 meters.
Nation finished 14th in the 84-man field in a time of 14:11.27. Tunningley was 16th in a personal-best 14:15.87. Those times rank third and fourth on the 2013 league performance list.
Junior Ryan Dohner and senior Joe Stilin are among those who will compete on Saturday.
Dohner will look to improve upon his time of 8:01.30 in the 3,000 meters, which he clocked two weeks ago at the Razorback Invitational. That time ranks No. 8 in the nation.
Stilin, who set the school record in the mile (3:58.66) two weeks ago and ranks seventh nationally in that event, will participate in the 3,000-meter invitational along with Stilin. That race also features Ryan Hill of NC State, who has the top time in the nation in the 5,000, and Patrick Casey, who has the No. 1 time nationally in the mile.
The Tyson Invitational resumes at 2 p.m. CST Saturday and the Husky Classic gets underway at 10 a.m. The Husky Classic is also a non team-scored event.
TEXAS ENTRIES/RESULTS- TYSON INVITATIONAL (All times Central)
Fayetteville, Ark. • Randal Tyson Track Complex
Friday, Feb. 8
• 60 Meters Prelims: 50. Basil Fares, 7.15
• 400 Meters - College: 8. Zack Bilderback, 47.60; 22. Josh Brudnick, 48.62; 31. Kyle Thompson, 49.10
• 800 Meters - College: 3. John McNamara, 1:53.04; 13. Blake Williams, 1:56.26
• 60-Meter Hurdles Prelims: 2. Keiron Stewart, 7.77; 12. Jake Wohlford, 8.04; 29. Josh Brudnick, 8.47
• 60-Meter Hurdles Semifinals: t-1. Keiron Stewart, 7.72; 8. Jake Wohlford, 7.97
• 60-Meter Hurdles Finals (7:55 p.m.): 2. Keiron Stewart, 7.66; 8. 8. Jake Wohlford, 8.01
• Long Jump: 21. Jake Wohlford, 21-4.75 (6.52m); 22. Basil Fares, 21-2 (6.45m)
• Weight Throw: 9. Hayden Baillio, 59-06.75 (18.15m); 10, Clint Harris, 58-8 (17.88m); 12. Blake Jakobsson, 57-06.50 (17.54m); 20. Will Spence 52-0 (15.85m)
Saturday, Feb. 9
• Pole Vault (11:00 a.m.): Hayden Clark, Johannes Hock, Mark Thomas, Reese Watson, Casey Wicker
• High Jump (noon): Victor Glaze II, Johannes Hock
• Triple Jump (noon): Jarard Bruner
• Shot Put (2:00 p.m.): Hayden Baillio, Clint Harris, Blake Jakobsson, Will Spence
• 200 Meters (2:15 p.m.): Zack Bilderback, Basil Fares
• 3,000 Meters (3:15 p.m.): John McNamara, Mark Pinales, Collin Smith
• 4x400-Meter Relay (4:20 p.m.):
TEXAS ENTRIES/RESULTS- HUSKY CLASSIC (All times Central)
Seattle • Dempsey Indoor Stadium
Friday, Feb. 8
• 5,000 Meters: 14. Will Nation, 14:11.27; 16. Rory Tunningley, 14:15.87
Saturday, Feb. 9
• 800 Meters (1:45 p.m.): David Anamosa
• 3,000 Meters (2:40 p.m.): Austin Bussing, Craig Lutz
• Mile (4:20 p.m.): Kevin Rayes, Brady Turnbull
• Mile Invite (5:35 p.m.): Patrick McGregor, Kyle Merber,
• 3,000 Meters Invite (6:55 p.m.): Ryan Dohner, Joe Stilin